question about homesteading work

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by glenda, Feb 16, 2005.

1. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

My question to all of you is this. My husband and I want to leave the work force. He is the only one that is working outside the home. We do not make much money where he is working now so it is not like we would need that much income. About 500.00 a month at the most would cover all our bills and extras. My question is do any of you have any ideas on how to make money from home.. Any ideas would be appricated

2. Yep, have Ken Sharobok send you his free E-book: How to make money in the country. It is plum full of ideals.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Ken Scharabok's book is *excellent*, and he's here on Homesteading Today. There are thousands of ideas in his book. When you find one you are interested in, then you would want to do some more research and make sure it would work in your area.

Kathleen

4. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

ok how do I ask for the book? I am not sure of how to do this. Ken if you are out there and will send me this ebook please do my email address is momoffive@charter.net
    thanks

5. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

You can live on $500 a month? I'm soooooo jealous!
    JackieA

6. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

Thanks I think.. It would not be so if our home was not paid for.. Also our truck is paid for.. Honestly we do not have any bills but insurance, property tax,electric, water, animal feed and what few groceries we buy for all seven of us. We grow most of what we eat. Other than that we have no bills.

But thanks

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............What happens when a Child gets VERY sick and you endup with a 200,000 bill for hospitalization and doctors ?? Here in texas they...Try...to get the individual to sign a form , actually a promissory note I believe , that you will pay youir bill . Then , if you have NO insurance and ...NO money.... they sell the "Note" for say 50% of the total charges to a collection agency , and THEN the FUN begins . Onlyway to discharge is to sell your home , property , and pay the balance due , OR...File CH.7 and get on with your life . fordy.. :eek: :)

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Glenda- check out the book "making A Living Without A Job" whcih your library probably has. The woman who wrote it has a website too I think. But the book is worth a look as she can help you brainstorm ways to make some $. It helped me take a look at things many years ago before I jumped to self-employment. Consider 5 things you can do to make $100 and you have covered your needs. Ken's book is great in that it offers lots of comments on many ventures.

9. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Seven poeple on $500.00 a month, that's insane, how do you do it?

10. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

11. gilberte

Glenda, you should be giving seminars around the country. I thought DW and I were frugal, but the two of us couldn't get by on three times that amount, and we own our own home with no mortgage, and no other debt.

12. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

Remember where you live has a whole lot to do with it. We live in North Alabama and well for us the cost of living here seems to be cheaper than other areas.. Our property tax here for a year is only around 300.00 a year.Not bad.. I have friends in other parts of the country that have about the same amount of land and well they pay four or five times as much just on property tax as we do..
    glenda

13. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

:worship: way to go Glenda!!! :yeeha:

14. gilberte

You've piqued my curiosity now. If you don't mind my asking, what does you're average monthly electric bill run down there?

15. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

Ok here we go. On average our electric will run any where from 50.00 to 100.00 at most. We keep our electric done by washing our clothes and they hang out to dry. We are very careful of how much electric we use. Our water bills is about 40.00, our insurance on house and car is 100.00 and then there is the property tax for both areas that we put back 60.00 a month for that. As far as a phone we really do not use one. We have a prepaid cel phone for calls we need to make and to call family in florida however it really only cost us pennies each month. And well we have our internet payment that is 45.00 a month. With all that we are only looking at on the high side of 345.00 and like I said that is the high side. Our electric bill this month and I used my drier some was only 77.00 and that is with garabage pick up.
    glenda

16. gilberte

Thanks, that's about what we pay for electric too. Didn't mean to highjack your thread. Good Luck :)

17. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

WOW, that is just amazing. in michigan here, my electric alone cost 200 amonth or more, and no we do not heat with it. but it is really high here, and gas is really high . I can't amagine living on such a small amount. but you go girl.
    but just to be on the safe side, I would get a job, or dh would after moving to the homestead, and here is why,
    broken arms, can cost 5 grand in dr bills or more. and same with a broken leg, and kids like to climb trees, and they do fall out some times, but kids will be kids, you get the picture, and then there are other things that can happen, where you will neeed cash. but having health insurance is a great thing, for a just incase. meds, run really high. I know you say, good eating or healthy eating has a lot to do wit hit, and you are right, but you just never know about such things happening,then there could be snake bites and what have you.
    I would have one of you get a little job, just sop you can have health insurance. I am in no way saying that , to
    upset you , or anything, just thinking of being prepared. but I think you will do fine. sounds like you are miles ahead of the rest of us.
    you might want to get a couple of dairy goats, for milk, and butter, and cheese. they are pretty cheap to feed, and give you lots of milk. with 7 of you, I would get four does, 2 freshened, so yu have milk , and to to breed, that way you will always have milk, and cheese, and yogurt. you have hens, so yu have your eggs, and you can' so you ar setting really well. that is great, and you go girl. way to go. I wish I could get by so cheap.

18. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

Fordy,
    It's really a very simple form of ...uh, MAGIC ! Hey, my wife & I would also like to leave the workforce, that way we could stay home and avoid the pitfalls of going to work...getting up early, go to jobs that require effort, dealing with people & other frustrations. Then coming home after work to do the 'home-work'...cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. etc. Yes, we have regular paychecks and health insurance as a benefit which is part of our total compensation for working. That way if one or both of us requires medical care, possibly the $200,000 you mention (or more) the $900.00/mo. our employer pays for our insurance coverage will cover most of the bill we have incurred. Now.....let's assume we "leave the work force" and incur a similar debt for medical care. I suppose we could just pay 10 or 20 bucks a month on the bill because. "as long as you make an effort to pay the bill that is all they ask of you."
    Let's get real...this $200,000 bill will never be paid if we had quit our jobs and had never bought our own health insurance. In reality the doctors and health care facilities must raise their charges to compensate for "dead" accounts. The higher charges are paid for by our insurance companies who must raise the price of insurance premiums that we, or our employer must pay.
    And it's best I end this right here.

19. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

You're almost a neighbor living over in "bama. Can you tutor children? I pay $20 an hour for my son's math tutor. He goes twice a week..poor child is like me, math challenged in algebra...but people are always looking for good tutors and if you homeschool, you are probably pretty good in a variety of subjects.

Just my little ole 1.5 cents (due to inflation),
    Sidepasser

20. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

oh yea, my electric bill this month...$39.00 big ones and I cook, wash and use lights (sometimes...)

Ha, living down south has it's perks...I heat with wood but my stove, and water heater are electric!

The highest bill I have had in the past year was $127 and that was in December when I had the place decorated for Christmas, January was back down to less than a hundred and this month, whoopee, 39.00.

Key is - turn off lights if you aren't using them, never leave a light burning if you aren't in the room. Cook several meals at once in the oven and put them up for later, use microwave for heating small things, and turn off the dryer unless it is pouring rain and you have to dry something for face going to work in your underwear. I think the dryer uses most of the electric around here, so I don't use it unless necessary. I replaced all light bulbs with high energy efficient screw in type flourescent bulbs, they cost more in the beginning, but save a lot over time.

Heat with wood, unplug any little old appliance that you aren't using, like coffee makers that have clocks which use electric. It is not that hard to plug them back in. Have an energy audit done by your electric company, I did and found that my old fridge was gulping electric. Replaced it with an energy efficient one and my bill went down tremendously.

Hope this helps,
    Sidepasser...believer in "TURN OFF THAT LIGHT"