Question about hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Big Sky Country, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

My husband and I just bought a old homestead and it has hardwood flooring throughout it. This home was really abused and needs a lot of TLC.

Can I take a sander and just sand the paint off the hardwoodflooring? Or would I have to strip it first and then sand it? Does anyone have any advice on how to treat the floor afterwards? Any books or sites?

I haven't been on here in a while and used to post on here a lot. It's been about a year.

Thanks,

Leslie

2. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

We bought a 1700 farmhouse floors were all dark.We had a fellow come in sand all floors.Clean them good and put 3 coats of water based poly on them they are now a beautiful honey color.Not hard to do.You dont want to stop and the sander is running it will mark floor.

3. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

Be very careful with sanding the floor. Since it is painted it probably contains lead paint. I would consider stripping the floor if I could, just to avoid the dust from going through the house. Maybe you can wet sand the floor to keep the dust down?

Carla

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Stripping is generally better for the floor. For you it's fumes one way, dust the other.....

Sanding is a real art form, you need to _only_ go with the grain, and so on. Easy to mess it up.

--->Paul

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

the new sanders you can rent are foolproof they have 3 or 4 wheals on them cant make big dents in the floor like random orbital not like the old drum ones

6. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

If it was my project, I would use "Zip Strip"... I'd rather deal with the fumes than the dust from sanding.

Zip Strip has 6 different strengths of paint removers:

http://www.starbronze.com/remover.html