Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Youll find their advertisments in many farm and garden publications. Retangular orange 2 piece boxes. Has anybody used them? Whats their openion on them if anybody has used them? Thanks.

·
Saltine American
7,212 Posts
Bill,
The best place to have a garden is in the ground and u own some.

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
It depends on your soil and what critters you have living in it. I use both large pots/tubs and in-ground gardening. For some plants you getter better results in pots but most grow better in the ground.

Potting soil is expensive but is relatively weed free, the first year. Afterward you need to pull weeds and work organic material and fertilizer into the soil just like the garden. The pots are taller than the ground so some people have an easier time caring for containers. If your soil is in poor condition or you are trying to grow plants that need specific conditions (like blueberries) they will do better in containers where you can give them the extra care they need.

The cannas I had in containers did much better than the ones in the ground. But the ones in the ground were crowded by the elephant ears.

·
STILL not Alice
21,735 Posts
I tried container gardening before, and it was more work than in the ground.

When it comes to burrowing pests, DH came up with an effective way to keep them out of the beds: When he built my new raised beds, he put 1/4" hardware on the ground before putting up the sides and filling with soil.

SOOOOOoooo much better. I still want to dig up a couple of the old beds, so we can put down more hardware cloth.

·
Super Moderator
17,013 Posts
All that is is a self-watering pot. So I made mine: there are a lot of youtubes on how to make them.

I made mine by taking a large plastic bucket, drilling a hole in the side 4 inches from the bottom. THEN you need to prevent your plants from getting wet feet: I did it by putting a flower pot upside down in the bottom of the pot and putting the potting soil on top of that. And, yes, you do need potting soil for the system.

When you water, the water will fill up the lower 4 inches up to the hole that you have drilled. Because of the upside down flower pot a lot of water is being held. The water then wicks up to the plant and keeps the plant happy: I only had to water mine once a week and less often if it rains. And, the rain did not fill up the entire bucket because of the hole I drilled 4 inches up.

I like them because I can have cucumbers and such outside my kitchen door, which means that I can grab a cucumber or whatever to add to the evening meal without walking down the stairs to the main garden: I have slowed down a bit since I was a young woman!

·
STILL not Alice
21,735 Posts
All that is is a self-watering pot. So I made mine: there are a lot of youtubes on how to make them.

I made mine by taking a large plastic bucket, drilling a hole in the side 4 inches from the bottom. THEN you need to prevent your plants from getting wet feet: I did it by putting a flower pot upside down in the bottom of the pot and putting the potting soil on top of that. And, yes, you do need potting soil for the system.

When you water, the water will fill up the lower 4 inches up to the hole that you have drilled. Because of the upside down flower pot a lot of water is being held. The water then wicks up to the plant and keeps the plant happy: I only had to water mine once a week and less often if it rains. And, the rain did not fill up the entire bucket because of the hole I drilled 4 inches up.

I like them because I can have cucumbers and such outside my kitchen door, which means that I can grab a cucumber or whatever to add to the evening meal without walking down the stairs to the main garden: I have slowed down a bit since I was a young woman!
That's very clever! Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
25,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw on U Tube on Roots and Refuge, where she takes the biggest tote WM has, gets a bag of potting soil. She takes off the lid. She pokes holes om one flat side, turns it over and lays that on the lid. Then she cuts out the upper flat top, works out any clods in the soil, makes furrows with her fingers and plants lettuce, kale, arugula? in the furrows, then puts the bottom of the bin on top the bag and over it after watering the furrows good.. Im thinking of getting 2 or 3 of these for my DD, maybe for DDIL, and me. Need to find out IF one can those veggies after Christmas. Seems like youd really have to watch it on sunny days, even at this time of year, and maybe throw a blanket over it at REALLY COLD nites. Id get thermometers for them IF I buy them

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
Don't waste your money. Those totes (you forgot to mention using clear totes) are really expensive! What the videos never show is how the totes turn yellow and brittle and break into pieces in a few months. You would do better to make a real cold frame from greenhouse plastic or glass windows.

·
Super Moderator
17,013 Posts
FBB, I do not think that would work nearly as well as turning something into a self-watering pot! While I simply flip some old flower pots over and fill the main pot with dirt, there are other ways of making a self watering pot. There is a gent at Easy Living Yards on youtube that makes self watering pots out of plastic 5 gallon buckets, and they last much longer outside than a wal mart tote. Or you can get a pretty flower pot at a dollar store or a thrift store and convert it into a self-watering pot.

Actually some wal mart totes last outside for only months while some last longer: alas I do not recall which get brittle quickly and which do not!

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,720 Posts
I have had the same grow boxes for 12 years now. ( Earth boxes). They have not gotten brittle, they have not broken. They have been more than cost-effective in the long run though spendy up front.

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
Don't try using the blue buckets from Lowes for anything outside. They do not hold up like their old silver buckets. The blue buckets get brittle and break after a few months outside. I still need to repot the blueberries that are in cracked blue Lowes buckets.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
After Christmas all the big box stores have lots of organizer boxes for the January "let's get this house in order" impulse shoppers.. Maybe one of them would work?And you might want to buy some roll around wheels for flower pots and such. A tote can get pretty heavy should you need to move it in during the really cold weather.

geo

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,720 Posts
It takes two of us to move one of our grow boxes when it is full most of the time. II do have a folding moving dolly that I can use if I really need to move it myself. As I have gotten older I embraced things that help move large items. That dolly is used on a weekly basis for something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts