Question about fixing a lamp

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Dec 26, 2003.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I got a wonderful little full spectrum compact fluorescent lamp a while back. :)

But it doesn't work. :waa: And no matter what I've tried, I have been unable to make it work - I've changed bulbs, jimmied around with the plug, tried different outlets, etc etc etc.

I finally decided I had nothing to lose (except maybe burning my place down :rolleyes: ) and decided to take it apart to see if I could fix it.

I began with where the wires attach to the bulb plug-in thingie. The socket thingie :confused: :confused: I think.

Immediately, upon undoing one screw, I discovered one unattached wire.

What I can't figure out, though, is this: does that wire wrap around the screw I undid for grounding or something? Or is it supposed to attach to something within the bulb socket? :confused:

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Both wires must be attached to their intended place, it will be either screws or clips of some kind. The electricity comes in on one wire, gets consumed within the bulb, but does not return via the second wire. The second wire is a pathway for the circuit to be complete, it does not carry voltage - but it must be present for electricity to work.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:) Thanks.

I sat down and fiddled with it for a while and it DOES look like it's supposed to be attached to a place where one of the bulb pins goes.

So I'm going to attach it. If you do not hear from me again, I've caused the place to explode by my futzing around with electrical wiring. :rolleyes:

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

One rule ....please donot try to Bathe and work on your Lamp at the same time. We value your insightful and creative posts more than your lamp!!!....fordy :D :D :worship: :worship:

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: Well, I AM working on it in the kitchen.

Guess maybe I should move it away from that sink full of water. :D :D

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Anyone else hear that ZZZZZTTTTT noise?

7. WaterSoluble

WaterSoluble Well-Known Member

LOL! zzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

Really though...if the wire goes to one of the "pin thingies", does it look like it just pulled loose (has a plug-in type of connector) or did the wire break (bare wire surrounded by the insulation)?

Also, if it is bare wire, was the end curled like a question mark to wrap around something or is it straight?

Whatever you do, be careful. :no:

8. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

If the wire has a green insulation or is bare it is a ground wire. This would be attached to a ground screw (usually green). This ground screw is usually away from other connections and just screws into the metal 'frame' part of the light.

If the wire is any other color then it is part of the + and - part of the electric circuit. Each socket will have at least 2 wires going into it and may have 4. These socket wires are usually friction fitted. It is not uncommon for a wire to become dislodged from a socket if it has been jostled around.

Working in the kitchen is a good idea since most kitchens have ground fault circuits. If you wire it incorrectly then the ground fault will trip. Having said this, if you are unsure of the wiring ask someone who may have more experience to give you a hand.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:waa: The wire is bare.

:waa:

But there's a thingie which looks like it's supposed to have a wire in it ... and there's no wire in it. :waa:

It's a two pin socket thing, and the bulb (a compact fluorescent) has two pins which fit into it.

One of the pin socket things has a wire attached to it.

The other doesn't. :confused:

And there's this one (and only one) stray wire which is ... bare. :waa:

Now I'm confused again. I've been worrying over this lamp for months now. :waa:

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

If you accidentially "plug yourself in" we may have to start calling you >>"Neon Mama"......you'll Glow in the Dark......fordy... ;) :no: :D

11. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

Countrygirl,

If the entire wire is bare (no insulation on the wire for as far as you can follow it) then this is a ground wire and should not be connected to any pins.

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

retire, the end of the wire is bare, but there's black insulation under the white cord stuff. :confused:

14. bare

bare Head Muderator

Here is what it sounds like you have. A white sheath with probably two wires contained in it. One white, and the other probably black. Both are stripped of insulation back about half an inch. Both of those wires need to be connected to the fixture somehow. Some fixtures have an additional, completely bare wire, it's whole length, either copper or braided aluminum. That is the ground wire and doesn't necessarily need to be hooked to anything.

15. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

!! That's exactly what I have.

Okay. I'm going to hook it up then. once I find a screwdriver small enough to detach it from the other thing. :rolleyes:

16. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter