Question about finding a place to relocate

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jex99in00, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

Hey everyone, I've been around a bit and love all the info on the site, but I have a few questions. My fiancee and I are looking to relocate after July of next year. We've been looking for places to go but we're having a little trouble with it. My question is, is there a way to find out if jobs are available, school system info, avg. salaries, taxes, etc., without looking up each individual town? We are looking at about 5 states to move to and we wanna start narrowing the group down a bit. Thanks for any info!

2. mowrey1999

mowrey1999 Well-Known Member

Here is a site that will give information on whatever city you select and tells, jobs, ethenticty,avg age,avg income, avg temp, rainfall, ect , there is a area for large citys and below you will see where to put in for citys below 1000 population hope it helps.http://www.city-data.com/

3. MyHomesteadName

MyHomesteadName Well-Known Member

Read my moving thread

I have sites listed at the end of my first post, charts and pictures.

Hope it helps.

Where were you looking? I've done exhaustive research.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You can read and research all you want, you won't know until you live there.

5. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

Well, we're looking at Texas, Kentucky, Tennesee, West Virginia and Mississippi. We've been to Texas, WV, and KY. We're not gonna be able to afford much, so we're looking for fairly cheap areas.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Hildago County Texas You can buy 10 acres with Irrigation for under $70,000 taxes are not bad, But then you can buy A residential lot 1/2 acre with Water Sewer and Electric in on Paved roads for $16,000 at $238.00 A month with $500.00 down. We have A 300 day growing season are 8 Miles to Old Mexico. An hour to the White sand beaches of South Padre Island. And S P I is the worlds longest barrier island. Theres tons of activities. And the wages might not be the highest.The cost of living is well below 1/2 of the rest of country. 3 Major International Airports within A 45 mile radius. Very liberal Zoning If you want Pigs sheep cattle or whatever go for it. With the irrigated land you can get 10 cuttings of Hay per year. Or 2 crops of corn. Very little cold weather compared to up north. Try looking at the city of Mission Texas Birth place of Tom Landry. and other greats.

7. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

We've figured that with our umcomming wedding and all, we'll be able to get something with a $15,000 down payment, but the monthly payment is dependent upon the wages we can make once we move. My finace is is in school to be a teacher and I'm a carpenter by trade, biologist by degree (just have to go back and take one more semester to get my bachelors). We're looking for about 40 acres or more, and we're willing to live in a trailor for awhile until we can build a house. Don't know if that helps out or not...

8. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

I think they have a link for land and houses on WWW.WVONLINE.com hope this helps. There is cheap land here in north central WV. Jobs are not great but cost of living is low and the people are great. Hope this helps. Sam

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

10. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Been there done that. Moved to Houston on a whim. Was there for about 5 years. Moved to L.A. on a whim, was there for about 10 years. Moved to where I'm at now. Bought the place I'm in now on a whim. Done moving. Doesn't work for everybody.

Beeman has it down. Research all you want. It won't do much good. Having done what you're proposing I will upchuck my wisdom at you.

Finish school. Look for a job in that field. Once you start moving, it will get harder and harder to finish that degree. It could pay alot more than carpentry. But, there are more jobs in carpentry than Bio. Be patient.

You might find that a decent paying bio job might determine where you'll live for the time being. It might take you somewhere you never thought of. You might like it, you might not. Carpentry gives you options while waiting for a bio job.

Take a few more vacations to places you might want to live. That can give you time to get a feel for the place before you commit, read local classifieds, check out housing and commutes, etc. (BTW, when I moved I just moved, no job, no place to live, etc.)

Do all this with the intention of saving money to buy your homestead. Don't buy all that stuff you think you really have to have. Avoid debt at all costs (kinda of a funny way of putting it.) What you really have to have is a homestead. stuff is worthless after awhile and you'll have to drag it around looking for your homestead.

If you find yourself in a longer term situation (maybe thinking you'll stay more than a year), buy a house that will make a good investment...decent neighborhood, appreciation, fixer-upper, tax write-off. It doesn't have to be the dream property. But, it gives you those benefits until you find what you're looking for. It also gives you more credibility for when you decide to get your homestead.

or you could get a VW micro bus, join a commune, skip through the woods throwing flower pedals around chanting peace love and joy. (just try and find a micro bus in decent condition.......actually a guy I work with has one for sale.)

11. cedarsleeping

cedarsleeping Active Member

This is a great site for making this kind of decision ... the result is a list of areas that match up to a detailed set of preferences you've input.

karen

12. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

13. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Read Catspaw's post agin!

14. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You're not married yet, you don't have any job experience in your fields that you haven't completed school for, how on the earth can anyone even come close to a suggestion for you. My suggestion after the wedding get in a van and travel the country for a few months. Camp and rub elbows with the local people and get more of a feel for areas. Teaching will be a tough field to get in with the states you mentioned unless you go to the big city.