Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is raining hard today and I am tired from Saturdays 10 lawn mowing jobs and Sundays shop fire at the neighbors. I pulled hose and held a nozzle for 3 hours. So....thought I would come here and try to get on and ask a question.

I went to my eye doctor 3 months ago for new glasses. The old ones were 6 years old and just were not doing it anymore. I got a full eye exam and new lenses. Progressives with the darkening lenses, new frames and all. Problem....I have a lot of motion sickness problems and the new glasses made it worse. I went back 6 times complaining about it. The eye doctor was very nice, rechecked my prescription, dilated my eyes again, adjusted them, listened to my complaints. Finally the eye strain and headaches became unbearable and for the first time in 6 years I would take them off when not needed. This helped when they were off but worse when I put them back on. So I went back on Friday the 17th. She went all the way through an exam again. I hadn't put the glasses on that morning, appointment was for 9:30. The left lens was not strong enough and my eyes were not working together. Also after everything was done she had me put the glasses on to check for fit. Everything was good except the "break line" for the prescription was way too low. She moved it up on the new lens. The new lens needed made and then ground to my frame size. Lens came in yesterday so I went in and had that done. They checked everything and all felt good and today I feel very good about the change.

Back to the appointment, the doctor told me I MAY have dry eye so gave me a prescription for some drops, 1 week and then just buy an over the counter drop. $4.99 for 2 bottles, probably enough for 2 months, going by my allergy eye drops taken during allergy season. She also said to start fish oil, 2000 units a day. I got them at Bi-mart that day, 40% off, $2.99 for 200, 1000 unit, 2 a day. I started them that day, was told it may take a month to see results with my eyes but it is also good for skin and heart. She said to start with 2 but may cut back since we eat so much salmon and steelhead. It seems better already.

Any advice or anyone here do this? TIA....James

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
The eye Dr. insisted that I had to have bifocals this time. I simply cannot adjust to them. Line, no line, doesn't matter. Soooo, I don't wear glasses at all. Not too big of a problem as long as everything is at least 3 ft away(menus are a challenge). Next time I go in I'll get the distance prescription only and just use 'cheaters' for close up.

Were these your first pair of bifocals?

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Real glasses have been transitions. Just the last pair. Before that I used readers but the on and off caused motion sickness. I used readers about 3 years. I was told I would do better wearing the glasses all the time. I had a hard time getting used to them but in time it got better. I can drive without glasses but anything else I need them....James

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
I'll relate part of my eyeglass story and opinions and you can see if any of it may help your situation.

When I first had issues seeing things I was 12. My mother took me to several eye doctors for a year...each one said nothing was wrong with my eyes...but I kept complaining (it's what I do lol...if something is wrong, everyone will know. I do not fail in silence :)).

Finally my mom heard about a different doctor...one that still issued CORRECTIVE lenses. I put that in all caps for a reason.

At 13 I had astigmatism, near sightedness in one eye, far sightedness in the other eye, needed bifocals and also needed prisms due to bad double vision. It was the strongest prism at the time they could put into glasses.

I remember the first time walking to school with them. First I threw up because I kept looking through the wrong part and seeing through the bifocals.

Then I came up on a huge maple tree and stopped to stare. At 13 it was the first time I think I had ever actually for real seen individual leaves on trees that weren't 2 feet in front of me.

Anyway that doctor gave me a list of CORRECTIVE eye exercises.

Every year. EVERY year since that year, my prescription has lightened up. Two years after the original script I no longer needed bifocals. My script in general is actually getting better. My best eye is now at 16/20 (I can see at 16 feet distance what others can see clearly at 20ft) it used to be 20/100, I would have to be 20 foot of distance to see the same thing most people could see at 100 feet of distance.

My prism is now one of the lowest they prescribe now instead of the strongest. In fact, I'm actually a candidate for the laser surgery where otherwise I wouldn't be.

I've also had eye doctors (my one from LOOOOng time ago is very aged now) "diagnose" me incorrectly AND have had labs mess up on the precision necessary to be able to focus my eyes....meaning...I had to complain and complain and be checked and rechecked until the doctor realized it was off.

BTW...between the first time I was successfully diagnosed and now...my left eye (always my worst eye) has also been physically assaulted by lime-away cleaner, gasoline and paint thinner. There's actually permanent damage. But..vision keeps improving...my eye acuity is more closely matched, I do not have double vision or most other issues I had before.

Yes. I still do eye exercises to this day.....27 years later.

The only true issue I have right now is moderate night blindness...haven't figured that one out.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
just wanna say glad to see ya posting again james !!!

T

·
0 Posts

Anyway that doctor gave me a list of CORRECTIVE eye exercises.

I am intrigued. I have never worn glasses, and feel my eyes are weakening. I had difficulty working close on laptops, and still reading their microscopic writing. I picked up some Cheaters, and feel like they've made my eyes lazier!

What are corrective eye exercises?

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
Traci-
There is absolutely zero case study, medical study or scientific evidence that prove they work. At all. Ever. It's purely anecdotal.

I go by...I had X...and I do not have some of those X's now or the x got better. That's my personal evidence.

A lot of my conditions were muscle related. I reason it is because I was a premie and eye issues statistically happen with premies and development.

Doctor's cannot explain my eye improvement and when I tell them about the exercises they pretty much laugh. Though you would think that my records would show them something.

Anyway...what I do is simply practice focusing without glasses...near and far. When double vision was a huge issue (and it was a HUGE issue)...I used to use a pen or pencil and without glasses practice merging the images while moving the pen further away and closer.

It strains your eyes...so I would tell people to limit the exercise.

Also...more exercise to me is taking off my glasses during parts of the day and getting them to focus and make things clear WITHOUT squinting. It's a project in forcing them to do things on their own.

Again...anecdotal. But for me...seems to work.

T

·
0 Posts
Thank you. :)

And I agree, one would imagine that they would be interested in your results...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts