Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are putting up some electric fencing using 3 strands of polytape and t-posts for our animals. We are running the fencing along three sides of the pasture - the fourth side is already solidly fenced and doesn't need electric going across it (we will call this the back side). We have two chargers, so I was going to put the gate in the middle of the front side, and run two sections of polytape going out from the gate to the front corners, and then straight back to the back side (to form a large square) My question is does the electric fence need to be a closed loop, or can I do what I'm describing. It would mean having two two "L" shaped electrified lines, each running from their own charger. My husband says an electric fence needs to be run on a continuous loop, but I'm hoping that he's wrong :happy2: So to recap - just the front and sides are electric, and they stop when they meet the back fence. I hope I explained that ok.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You don't need a closed loop. It helps to add a ground line along your Ls and ground them periodically. That's what I had to do.
Just make sure those two Ls do not touch and zap each other's energizers.
Also, connect the three strands together every 10-15ft, helps keep the charge more even over longer distances.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd run a lead out wire under your gate/gap opening and connect the 2 "L" shapes and run em off one charger, why use 2 chargers... then you'll have a backup in case the other is damaged by lightning, stops working.... or if you wanna put more fence up elsewhere.
Exactly. I have 9 miles of hi-t run off of one charger....lots of gates and divider fences. Just use electrical crimp sleeves to jumper between hot wires and like idig says, run insulated leads under your gates.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The whole point of the electric fence is that it is an open circuit that is only closed when an animal touches it and bridges to ground. The charger should have a good grounding rod the circuit loop goes down the fence, through the animal, and through the ground back to the grounding rod. You use a lot less electricity just holding that potential energy and not actually running a full circuit all the time. You only lose energy at all because there is no perfect conductor.

So in short, a fence "circuit" consists of a good ground and a charged wire that can branch and loop however needed as long as it does not touch ground, the charged wire does not need to be circular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts