question about egg wash chemical

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frank4570, Jul 19, 2004.

1. frank4570

frank4570 Active Member

I am looking at selling eggs and I need to wash them first. I have looked at the retail chemical powder that you mix with water to clean the eggs ane it looks to me like nothing but bleach. I know that a 10 to 1 mix of water to bleach will kill all bacteria, is this suitable for egg washing? Does any of this stuff effect the taste of the egg?
    Thanks

2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I sell eggs to a health food store and all I use is warm water and a vegetable brush. It gets the egg clean without adding any chemicals.

Stacy in NY

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Egg shells are porous. Anything you put on them will move inside. Keep in mind that backyard flocks are kept in much cleaner conditions than commercial flocks. Some people don't even wash with water, just use sandpaper to "rinse" the eggs. I'd agree with plain water and a brush.

4. bbmae

bbmae Member

As above, I also just use cool water and a soft brush for dried on stubborn stuff. No one has ever complained about my eggs and I can barely keep enough for myself.

5. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

kincora,
    Did you have to get an egg handlers liscence? Im also in central NY, and havent been able to find info on what I need to do to sell eggs at a store. Any info would help.

Thanks

JAKE

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

No, I don't Jake. I think you have to have an enormous amount of eggs/chickens before you have to have any licenses. All I did was contact the health food store, they asked what I wanted per dozen, and he said he'd take all I could give him. They even accept the eggs in recycled (used) cartons.

Stacy in NY

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If you collect several times a day and make sure there is clean nesting material you shouldn't have many dirty eggs. Also make sure the birds aren't getting muddy feet because they will get mud on the eggs.

I've heard grapefruit seed extract works well as a disinfectant.

8. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I was using egg soap from McMurray but when the inspector from the Dept of Agriculture came out for my inspection (in WV you have to have a permit if you sell one egg or one million eggs) he told me that luke warm water would be fine, so now I just use luke warm water and occasionaly a scouring pad.

9. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

Thanks Stacy

Jake

10. eggs naturally have a prodective coat on them when they are laid, if you wash them , you wash it off, and the eggs start to turn faster. I wipe my eggs off. and try to get them when they are clean. and keeping straw in the nests helps. if an egg is cracked when laid , the chickens will eat it, because , one, they like them , and two, they think there is something wrong. If a hen can here it drop, she will usually peck at it.
    but it is true, evrything you put on an egg, will go into the inside of the egg, because you are washing, or wiping the film off. so to answer your question, yes ,, chemical egg washes go into the egg. and they are no longer organic.
    I tried to log in to post, and logged in, but won't let me post. messed up.
    debitaber

11. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

All my eggs were clean til it rained yesterday, i dont even wipe the little bit od dirt off most of them, no one complains, cause no one eats the shell....

The really dirty ones i use myself though, and only a few eggs were so dirty that i would have washed them off anyhow yesterday.

Summer rain, 3 inches in 2 days..... hay prices will be up this year.

William