Question about eating bunny rabbits?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 22, 2005.

1. For those of you who eat it regularly and only started eating it in the last few years, how long did it take for the whole family to accept it as table fare? Reason why I am asking is cause I am haveing to change my diet somewhat drastically due to diabetes. In my diabetes class today I learned that I not only need to watch my sugar intake but also the amount of fat intake. So I'm thinking I can substitute rabbit for many of the beef and pork dishes. But my problem is I need to teach my family that they need to be on the same diet or their time is coming when they maybe going through this very same ordeal that I'm going through. When growing up I've eaten a domestic bunny or two and have eaten hundreds of wild bunnies so I don't mind the taste at all. However my wife and kids maybe a different story.

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

r.h.
    we eat rabbit often but then we "grow" all of our own meat and so the kids just dont ask any more....
    but i fix a lot of my rabbit in the crockpot and just it like chicken...
    I love rabbit and noodles (alot like chicken and noodles) my kids love it too.
    It is a lot like eating all white meat chicken but we do use it a lot like pork or chicken or turkey. It wasn't hard at all to get used to it here. I found that if i cook it in a crockpot, and pull all the meat off, it goes better than having it on the bone (you cant imagian it as a whold bunny )

Belinda

3. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

We never made a big deal about it. BBQ bunny, bunny pot pie, bunny and rice, etc, etc, all really look like their chicken counterparts. Half the time, I don't tell them and they really don't care anymore.
    My four kids have always eaten rabbit just as a regular normal table fare. After several years of butchering chickens, they have decided that rabbit is a whole lot easier to butcher and clean and have asked us to reduce the chicken for meat numbers.
    Tana Mc

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Tana, I don't mean to hijack the topic, but do you find that raising and keeping rabbits is more economical than raising chickens to butchering stage? Do you supplement rabbit feed with stuff you can grow in the garden?

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Remove the words bunny rabbit. Bunny Rabbit means thumper in Bambi, a cute cuddly pet. From now on, refer to the babies as kits and at about 2 weeks of age refer to them as fryers.

Don't tell anyone that they are eating rabbit. Just make dinner as usual, using all your chicken recipes on the rabbit meat.

There are a couple of simple rules when cooking rabbit.. use more delicate herbs such as Thyme, Marigram, Sage. Heavier herbs such as Oregano and Rosemary should be used sparingly. Rabbit meat is a bit sweeter and has a more delicate flavor.

Since there is no skin on a rabbit (cooking purposes here..I know a rabbit has skin! but ever tried cooking it with its skin on? almost as bad as cooking a chicken with its feathers!) and very little fat, the meat dries out quite easily. If you are going to bake it, use a moist environment (dutch oven) or a crock pot. Frying works well for rabbit because the meat is first coated with batter or breading or flour. If putting on a BBQ, wrap the meat in bacon.

Also take a look at Goat meat as it is also a very lean meat... prepared like beef.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

We used to raise and eat em when I was a kid.Got over the 'bunny' part real fast,and got into butchering quickly too,they are yummy.If youre squimish about eating Fluffy,put it in the freezer awhile with some others,then you wont see it as a bunny,but as dinner.We fed ours produce free from the market,like lettuce leaf trim and such,and half a tuna fish can of pellets per rabbit per day.Butchered at 8 weeks.Dont know what they cost to produce,but better than chicken in my book.

BooBoo

7. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

So far, no one's had any trouble eating homegrown rabbit meat, and as long as there's meat in the meal, my ultra-carnivorous daughter doesn't care where it came from. Not to say there haven't been tears along the way, but she loves meat, and appreciates the we raise all that we eat.

I second what westbrook else said about goat meat - it's SO lean, there's hardly any fat on a carcass. I think it tastes nicer than lamb/mutton because of the lack of fat; sheep meat tastes really greasy to me.

Cheers
    Andrea
    NZ

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Let 'em go without eating for week or two. All aversions to consuming fluffy bunnies will evaporate.

Then again I'm a effer.

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have only tasted rabbit a few times. With one exception, they tasted just like chicken to me.

10. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

When we were raising rabbits, I cooked it just like I do chicken and the children didn't know the difference. Wait at least a week after butchering, and don't tell them during the meal!
    I still remember years ago Mom had one of my sister's college age friends over for a meal, and the girl complimented Mom on how good the chicken was. Mom laughed and said, it's not chicken, it's rabbit. She threw it down and wouldn't eat any more. :haha:
    I,btw, like rabbit better than chicken because it is all white meat. I don't like dark meat, and don't like dealing with fat, which the rabbits did not have.

11. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

We are very new to raising/eating rabbits. We butchered 34 a couple of weeks ago and plan on eating rabbit every week. I have one daughter who helps in the butchering process and loves to eat rabbit. I have one daughter who will eat one piece. My husband and I decided about a year ago that we weren't going to "fight" about it with her. We prepare the meal, call the family to dinner and If she can't eat it....she gets up and fixes herself a hotdog...nothing said. We are going to continue on our homegrown food whether the kids like it or not. They are provided for but if they don't want what we make they can eat something else. We don't allow that for just any meal, they eat what we eat, we just give them special consideration in this issue.

12. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Baby bunnies and baby chicks are cute. Meat rabbits lost their cute LONG before they hit the chopping block, as do meat birds.

13. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

Westbrook has an excellent point. They are not bunny rabbits. Put into your mind that they are kits and later on fryers.

Stress to your family that it's for your health and the health of your family as a whole. You need to explain to them the process you have to go through everyday and even explain to the children about poking your finger, testing your blood sugar level, taking a pill 1/2 hour before you eat is a real pain in the butt and you don't wish this on anyone. (My mom is a diabetic so I've seen it).

Let us know how your family accepts this.

Once we get the house done and the barn situated, I have talked about raising meat fryers with Dh and dd...they can't get over the bunny part. So I'm working on them too.

14. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

My bunch will eat anything that doesn't yell when they stab it with their fork LOL You might try using the meat in casseroles, etc. so it is kinda disguised at first. If you can get your hands on some deer, elk, etc. that is also a good lean meat

15. Westbrook quoted "Take a look at goat meat as it is also a very lean meat". Hey I have eaten goat meat also, from jerky and sausage to steaks and groundburger. I don't have a problem with it either as I can eat just about anything so long it don't bite me first. But everytime I've mentioned to my wife about having it for table fare she will say "No way, I'm not eating goat" and usually what she says the children will listen and do also. Of coarse that is what my wife said about venison when she first married me. She now eats it regularly. So my biggest task is getting my wife to eat it. She's more overweight for her height than I am.

Thanks everyone for your support and replies. I know someone locally that raises rabbits and processes them for sale so I'm going to visit him today and buy a couple of fryers. I thought I would debone them and use them in some kind of a chicken dish and serve without anyone knowing what they are eating. After the meal I will let them know what they just ate! I figure if I can get them to realize it wasn't so bad afterall then maybe they will be willing to try it next time. And, I'll call them rabbits instead of Bunnies.

16. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

I grew up raising and eating rabbit. As children, we played with the babies, I gave all of them (interchangeable!) names, and then I helped my Dad butcher.
    And then we ate 'em!

Rabbit is yummy. I would just approach it from the point of view that these aren't pets, they are meat----and let the kids handle the older rabbits. They bite, they have WICKED claws and are NOT friendly cute animals...I have one doe that attacks me if I reach in her cage....she will be dinner this Saturday but I had to wait to butcher til I had water again.

17. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

:eek: No!!!
    [​IMG]
    Save A Bunny...
    Eat A Squirell!

18. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

R.H.,

serve rabbit months before even using the word rabbit. Let them get used to it first. Rabbit does have a slightly different taste then chicken. If you serve it once and tell them, they can always come back with ewwwwww!

About goat, if you can get goat, have them slice the leg into 2 inch steaks...BBQ them like any other steak. They will not notice any difference.

The trick is... make sure they are good and hungry before serving them dinner! a hungry kid will eat anything!

19. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

I've never eaten rabbit (but my dogs have! :D ). Several people mentioned it is like white meat chicken. Does it look like white meat when it's cooked? I may have to try it someday soon!

Sarah

20. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Don't know about rabbit, but turkey thighs make a good substitute for pork, especially cooked with sauerkraut. Makes good sausage too. Get em early, grow em huge, cut em up.