Question about drying up a doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cowgirlracer, Aug 29, 2006.

1. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    I am certain somebody knows the answer out here - but is there a shot that I can give two of my does to dry them up? I have 4 girls that I am milking. Two are Saanens, and they are scaling back nicely, but my Kinder and my Nubian are showing no signs of slowing down. I have been at it for 3 weeks and their bags look like I am in full swing. Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
    Anne

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

So you are trying to dry up 2 goats that are 3 weeks fresh? Are you presently milking twice a day? I have never given a shot, but I would reduce their grain intake, start milking them out once a day...watch the udders for any signs of infection. Use good hygeine so infection doesn't set in. Then after milking once a day, go to every other day. They will dry up.

3. goatee

goatee Active Member

Try stop mlking.It works every time.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

LOL, yes, if you stop milking, they will dry up, however, with real heavy milking lines ( such as the line of goats I have) the udders can break down with the weight of the engorged udders. So some goats do need to be dried up a bit more slowly. It really depends on the volume of milk the goats produce and the strength of the ligaments holding up the udder. In goats with less milk and smaller udders, it would be easier to just quit milking all at once and let them dry up. It is a unique case for each goat.

5. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    I guess I wasn't very clear about what I was asking. I have been milking these 4 does for a few months and I have been trying to dry them up for 3 weeks. My 2 Saanens are scaling back very nicely, but my Kinder just isn't slowing down very much, neither is my Nubian. But now I have another problem - my Nubian is not feeling well. She is pretty much off feed, and is holding back from the herd. I checked her udders for heat - yesterday am cool to the touch, yesterday pm warm but not alarmingly warm - this am they were cool again. (Also very cool out this am.) I don't have a thermometer, so I can't say if she had a temp. Her eyes looked good, eyelids were pink, checked her gums they seemed ok also. She doesn't appear to be bloated or lame. When I let her out of the barn to be milked, usually she RUNS to the milk stand, this morning I had to lead her. When she got up there she tried to push the grain away :shrug: I offered her some baking soda - no luck. I am at a loss - any ideas here would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anne

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

it can very well be that your attempt in drying her off let her be act like this.
    to go with very full udder can be very strewssful.
    i would give her fortefied b complex and probios. milk her at normal times until she feels better.
    i dry my does in milking once a day for a week, don't milk out completely,than every two days a couple of time and than stop. after a week or so i milk them out and put dry treatment for mastitis prevention in each udder half.
    if the udder gets too full in between i release some of the milk.
    i don't feed grain to them and they don't go on the milkstand if possible.