Question about donating hay for disaster relief

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Ohio, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I know the initial focus is on helping people but I'm assuming there's a lot of livestock in the affected area that will have problems getting forage, etc. DW and I donated money to the Salvation Army already but would like to do more. We have second cutting hay (still standing) that we would be willing to donate to an organization. Figure about 2 semi-loads or more (1,000 plus square bales).

Does anyone have any thoughts on organizations that might be able to use this. We do not have any transport for it.

Mike

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Mike, you might want to check with the Farm Bureau in your area. Also any cattlemens associations. Most have connections to other states and they can probably make the contacts.

Bless you for that generous offer; I'm sure some farmer is going to appreciate it.

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I saw a Mississippi man on MSN news who had mini horses. Several have died and he was appealing for help from the American Mini Horse Association.

Just an idea, but local branches of various horse, cattle, llama and other livestock associations may be working with their national groups to organize temporary shelter for a lot of animals. Maybe you can hook up with one of them.

Lynda

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I think it's a great idea! I know some people are unhappy that we also think of livestock, and not just other people. They might think differently if hundreds to thousands of carcasses of livestock were lying out there polluting any remaining potable water, and increasing disease risk. Saving the livestock decreases problems for the human, too, in the long run.

Meg

5. Mike in Ohio

Well, I had a discouraging conversation with one group. They wanted me to donate money. I told them I already donated money and what I have to donate at the moment is hay if it could be used. They weren't interested.

I'm not going to stress about this. It's something that I can do to help if it is useful and an organization is interested.

If it doesn't work out at least I'm trying. I wish our fields were fenced. Then I could offer someone the opportunity to bring their stock out of the disaster area.

Mike

6. majic99

majic99 Well-Known Member

I do some volunteer work for the salvation army. As of right now i can tell you that the offical response is that they would like monetary donations for the sake of buying items closer to the affected area. The storage and transportation is not available or cost effective at this time. Keep checking and they may be asking for certain goods at certain times.

7. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Mike I'm sure most with animals down there would love the hay, I too saw the guy with Mini Horses begging for help to get them out of there. Anyone with cattle would be grateful for it, how to get it down there and to the people that need it is tough. Maybe contact some Farm Bureaus and let them see if they can handle getting it down there, I know there must be animals suffering also, you are a good person to offer it, hope you can get some help to get it to them,

Carol K

8. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I am frustrated too in that I don't have money to give, but have time to get, means to haul, and place to keep some animals that need out of there. Most places ya call tell you to just give money. If anyone knows of how to help either with time and space or the feed options let us know.

9. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    You might call some of the larger trucking cos. in Columbus and see if they could transport it for you. Quite a few cos. are asking for drivers to deliver goods to the various areas and a lot have volunteered. According to my hubby there's 11 from his terminal on their way there now with supplies and they were told to expect to set down there for 4-5 days because they're expecting about 500 trucks to the area he's going to.

I don't know if it would help but it couldn't hurt to call and ask.

10. Mike in Ohio

Terri,

Thanks for the idea. First I have to find someone to donate it to. We are just leaving for the farm (don't have internet access or telephone there). I'm going to speak with some of our neighbors down there to try and line up the equipment for cutting and baling if this comes together.

I'm just looking for a way to help out beyond the money we have donated.

Mike

11. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

I've scanned the web for days, about offering my pastures & shelter for horses, but they don't want anyone other than in the southern states. Not even accepting emails from farms in KY. I don't know. Plus, many rescue sites don't want the horses going further than 2 hours from area. ??
    I can't find the story about the mini's in Mississippi. Anyone know if he got some help? Plus, all horses must have current Coggins to cross state lines.
    If I were in MS or LA, it would be ok, but they must pass thru several states to get to me. It's been driving me crazy too, ever since this happened.