Question about Dog Worming

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Breezie, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

We really do need a Dog forum........hint hint.

Question is-is Panacur available without a prescription? Can you just walk into a farm/feed store and get it? I only take my pups in to the vet when it's absolutely necessary, as I do most of the maintenance stuff for them, but I really like Panacur as a dog wormer. Never seen it at our supply stores here, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Can't help with the "Panacur" but what does it worm for? I am guessing you have a microscope and so can check fecal samples to determine what worms may be or are present? And I am thinking you weigh each pup for the correct dosage?

You might call a few places around your area and ask. Or your state or regional breed club would have some ideas? Have you typed the product into your search engine just for fun and checked it out? May come up with some answers that way. Just musing here. :p

There are websites for every breed that is recognized by the AKC and a whole lot of breeds that are not. Have you tried any of them? These all have good forums and being breed specific you can get good info at them. ;)

Hope you get it all set.

LQ

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You are right about the dog forum. We have a teen forum we never use; why not one for dogs too. We use a wormer from Walmart that starts with P first word and P for 2nd word. It costs about $5.

4. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Panacur is the same thing as Safeguard. Only Panacur is liquid. Liquid Safeguard. I order it thru Revival or Lambriar, $100 for 1000 cc, 33.8oz. Your feed mill might have a big bottle, if not, they will order it for you. I dose at 1cc per 5lbs, 3 days in a row. You can get smaller bottles from the vets, but it costs allot more that way. Like $15 for a small bottle. The Safeguard paste in the tube is exactly the same stuff, if you can dose it right. Panacure-Safeguard is said to get all 4 types of worms and giradia. I'm not so sure. They have a new Safeguard granules for dogs, buts its very expensive.

I use Pyrantel-Strongid, I think it's allot better for worming pups and dogs. 1cc per 10lbs, 1 dose, but I dose a bit higher than this. 32oz is about $30. Comes in all different names (Pyrantel Pamoate) I like Pyrantel for pups & dogs, and use the Panacur-Safeguard for pregnant moms, 5 days of worming is very safe for them using Panacur. Also supposed to worm them the day they welp, just like you worm the doe the day she kids. But I worm the pups with Pyrantel starting at 2wks. Totally confused now aren't ya. :) White stuff is Panacur, yellow stuff is Pyrantel.

5. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

Thanks Cindy-

Exactly what I was looking for in an answer. I had forgotten about Pyrantel, I may order some of that. I called around and found a store that could order those kinds of things, after all. I should have clarified, as these are adult dogs, 5 and 9-not puppies. I just automatically call them my pups because they are my babies and I love them to death! :D I already knew what dosage to give them, I just needed a source for the meds. It's just getting time for another round of worming for these guys( I have a chart the vet gave me and still use that time table), and I had finally run out of what the vet had given me awhile back. Luckily, both dogs are 8 pounds each, so that makes dosing easy. They are both very healthy, so I don't want to pay $30 just to get them in the door, when I know I can just dose them myself without problems at all.

Thanks again!

Oh, and from experience, Panacur does great-especially for giardia.Thankfully, I've never had a problem with that myself. Just used to work in the evil pet industry long ago and know from that experience. Good stuff!

6. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if you've heard of or have an opinion of diatomaceous earth as a wormer but I really like it. It is fossolized diatoms and they scrape the offending worms body and it dries out and dies. No chemicals or side effects. I've used it for quite a while now and my animals never look wormy. In the July/Aug.1999 issue of Countryside on page 96 there is a good aritcle on the many uses of D.E. For large dogs over 55# it recommends 1T per day. I mix mine in meat juice, yougurt, or anything else they can't resist. Really helps the cats too. Small dogs and cats 1 t. per day. My donkeys do well on it as well...they get 1/2 c and a full size horse would probably get 1 cup per day. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

7. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

Hey Ann Mary-

Yes, I had heard that DE was good for that. I've even heard that people use it for themselves. It's kind of gross to think about, but humans get parasites as well, especially people that work with animals alot. The question I have is-do you have to use food grade DE or can you just use the stuff from the garden shop? The way I see it, it should all be the same stuff-but I'm not an expert in such things. I would think that as long as the DE isn't mixed with any chemicals, that it should all be the same and just as safe as the supposed 'food grade' material that some food processing plants use. If you know this, I'd like to know because now that you have mentioned it, I may try this approach first.

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Here's another thought. I don't know if heartworm is a problem in your area, but most of the heartworm preventatives (Heartgard, Interceptor, etc) also control several types of intestinal parasites. Heartgard is labeled for roundworms and hookworms, while Interceptor is labeled against roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms (to keep up with Interceptor, Heartgard is also guarenteed against whips though it isn't on the label). If your adult dog is getting the heartworm preventative monthly, then there's no need to treat for worms (because you're already treating monthly) unless you have a positive stool check, and, if you got your preventative from your vet and are using it per instructions the heartworm preventative company might pay for treatment if the dog shows up positive for the above intestinal parasites. I like the Heartguard guarantee better because the dog just has to test positive for the paracites. Interceptor will pay only if the dog is ill from the parasites

9. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

10. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

bbbuddy, great site thank you.

11. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I buy my D.E. from a co-op and I know it is food grade It is about $18 for 50#. You do NOT want the kind they use in swimming pools. It is coarser from what I've read. Food grade is super fine and a chalky white. I use it on my pets when they get fleas, rub it into their fur (might want to wear a face mask to keep it out of your nose until the dust settles) I also use the D.E. in my garden on spider mites, etc...just try not to get it into the flowers themselves so the beneficial insects aren't harmed. Can be put in a ring around fruit tree trunks to help ward off "little critters" that want to get up the trunks and destroy your crop! There is LOTS of info. on D.E. on the web...just type in diatomaceous earth and go from there. Best wishes!.

12. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

13. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

It's definitely true that you don't really want to treat a heartworm positive dog with something that will kill all the microfilaria. Especially the old daily heartworm preventatives were especially dangerous. Now the new preventatives probably won't hurt a heartworm positive dog, but they don't take care of the problem of the adult heartworms. Without getting too technical, heartworm preventatives can kill microfilaria up through approximately their 4th stage. Stage one is the microfilaria ("baby worms") released into the dog's blood stream in great numbers. By themselves, these worms are not infective, ie the dog does not "re-infect" itself and if you injected this blood infected with stage 1 microfilaria in another dog it will not develop heartworms. The microfilaria only become infective once they mature into stage 3 in the mosquito and are injected into the dog. I'm sure that the Beagle guy meant that the Ivomec was for killing the Stage 3 and 4 in the dog's body (but of course it would also kill the stage 1 microfilaria too). It appears he does recommend a test before treating and doesn't advocate treating an infected dog with Ivomec. Quote from the site: "If you suspect a dog may already have heartworms, before putting a dog on the following prevention it should be checked by a Vet to be sure it has no heartworms. The cost of this exam is generally between $5 - $15. It is a lot cheaper to have the exam to make sure your dog is not already infected, than it is to have a Vet save an infected dog during the advanced stages of heartworm infestation. This prevention (describe below) is only good to prevent an infection from ever occurring, once a dog is already infected then it must be given the very expensive treatment described in the first paragraph of this page." Hope this clears things up. :)

Sarah

14. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Thank you Sara for the great answer to LQ...saved me alot of typing, haha.
    I was offline yesterday when it was posted.
    I found that website several years ago, and saved all the info on my computer and used it. When evacuating the animals from the CA wildfires in '03, I grabbed my bag of animal meds, so I still have my Ivomec for dog worming!
    I was so happy when "rebuilding" a computer with what I consider important info, (after loosing all my stuff to the fires)that I found that website is still up and running. That beagle guy is realling doing a great service to all dog owners!

maddy