Question about does kidding..and when

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Jan 6, 2005.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok...I heard somewhere that a doe who is carrying more babys will
    generally end up kidding earlier. Like a day or two before her due
    date. Is that true? I mean has anybody had their does who carry
    mulitiples do that?

I believe that my doe is carrying 3 babys. She is 75% boer bred to a
    pure boer. I know that boers tend to go a day or two over their due
    date. I am just trying to figure out when to start watching her.

Also how many days before their due date to you start putting them in
    their kidding pen?

Thank you!
    MotherClucker

2. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We have never had a doe kid earlier than 150 days and never more than 153 days. Just had triplets, 150 days...her 3rd kidding with us, all have been 150 days...Joan :haha:

3. GoldenWood Farm

Ok...anybody else had any experiance in this?? I am just trying to get my bearings here.

MotherClucker

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

99% of our Nubians, single/triplets or quads go on 150 days. Our Lamancha's kidded right on 145, rarely going to 150 days. Also Joni raised LaMancha's for 8 years in the same barn with my Nubians and maybe had 2 sets of triplets the whole time! Always twins. I have never had a doe not go into labor, or miss a labor (which I think is always the fear new folks have, that somehow you will miss the whole thing, and the kids will die inside or something without you noticing she had been in labor...this is not going to happen.) Only in the youngest of first fresheners would I worry if she was late...the problem is if you let it go past 150 days, it takes 36 hours for lutelyse to work anyway, so by then they are really late and the kids are really big :) Vicki

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

My Mini-LaMancha's go 145 days at least so far. one had triplets, two had singles, and all the rest had twins. Don't know yet what the full LaMancha's will do nor the nigerians as haven't bred them myself until this year.

6. GoldenWood Farm

Well I checked her tonight and her ligaments are loose. I mean looser than the other doe with her for company. Like when I looked at her you could tell they where loose. They are still there for sure but are softer. Right next to her pin heads on either side she is more sunk in also. I put her in the kidding pen tonight just since she needs to get used to it (it is just a small corned off area in the pen she is in right now). I know she won't kid tonight but yea. She is on the way though! Her udder is not full yet not near being full and tight. No discharge or anything since she still has *counts on fingers* about 4 days to go untill her due date. Starting tomorrow I will be watching her like a hawk.

MotherClucker

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

"Our Lamancha's kidded right on 145"

OK...running for the calendar here because I dont have enough fingers to count that high... :no: :haha:

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yep, I bet Leeann and Lynn are running for the calendar :) How exciting both your families are going to be! Nothing cuter than baby LaMancha's! Don't forget your Bo-se shots! Vicki

9. GoldenWood Farm

I my self can hardly wait intill my la mancha does kid. I have one due the 31st of this month and the other due like the 16th of april. I also can hardly wait for my mini manchas to be born(the ones that I am going to buy) and for my nigerian doe to have her babys(she is due may 16th :rolleyes: ). I go to ultrasound 2 girls who I am not quite sure on. My La Mancha who is due at the end of this month(she isn't huge and so I want to make SURE that she is preggers) and my other la mancha doe who keeps me guessing (she is the one who I have tried a couple times...cross your fingers!). I can hardly wait for kidding to start!!!

I have 7 does due to kid this year. Starts this weekend hopefully(the doe is due on a tuesday but I doubt she will manage that far) and ends in mid may. Not to mention my 4 babys that I am buying(pre ordered them :D ). *sigh* kidding season is in the air :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: .

MotherClucker

10. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

A search pulled up this thread for me.

I have a togg doe on her 150th day today and I too was wondering about the average. I'm not 100% certain she's bred as she hasn't shown much in size and her udder, although bigger, isn't a LOT bigger. She dried off a few months back so I tried seeing if I could get a squirt and out came what sure looks like colostrum so I'm betting she's on the nest. Tendons are still pretty firm. Oh well, guess I'll keep checking and listening to the baby monitor. At what day would it seem smart to start worrying or considering her possibly NOT bred? Thanx.

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Here's what mine have done:

Fullblood LaMancha kidded March 22 at 147 days, twin does

1/2 LaMancha 1/4 Nubian 1/4 Boer, April 2, 150 days, twins, buck and doe

1/2 Nubian 1/2 Alpine, today, twins, 146 days, twins buck and doe

1/2 Boer 1/4 Nubian 1/4 Alpine DUE TODAY

First three does bred to Fullblood LaMancha, last doe bred to Fullblood Boer.

My does all got really huge except for the first one whose kids weighed only 4 3/4 and 5 pounds. The second set weighed 6 1/2 and 8 1/2. The third set born today are larger than the second but have not been weighed. The Boer is a first freshener and looks pretty big for that. I fed well only during the last six weeks but think I will not feed so much protein next year. I had a regular strict feeding regime I did not vary from. My does did not really get fat but rather got into "show" condition. I think the kids are a bit too big. They are vigorous though. And lots of milk. I have been "out of the goat business" for over ten years and I guess i played it too safe and made the kids too big. I had to assist with two births (nothing too bizarre), just glad I was there, it may have been okay, maybe not.

12. Mr. Dot

Evening of the 154th day now. Tendons seem gone. Bag is fuller. Doe is calm.
    Cue Jeopardy theme...

13. Mr. Dot

A happy ending to report on day 155. Twin bucklings who will go as wethers to a neighbor as his first goats. 155 day is my record. I think I would have sweated through day 156 then contacted the vet. First delivery was the classic dive. Second had both front legs bent and the head coming first. Went in and rearranged a bit and the little feller popped right out.
    Whew.

14. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I think it has a lot to do with the breed.
    I have toggs and they always go over. Blast them!
    I would never do anything to induce them. I get too anxious and would induce them too early. I trust mother nature and God to know when is best.Though I just hate waiting!

15. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

This year our Alpine had 3 kids right on schedule (150 days). Last year she was 5 days early and had 2 does. One had only 3 lets. Year before she went 150 days with a doe and buck.

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the tail tendons as a guage and the udder. When the tendons are gone the tails on my girls always look askew. I have two that just started to look askew this morning. Udders are about half full.

Pawing is another huge tell in my girls. If I see pawing I stay in the barn!

17. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

This is my doe's first freshening and mine too. He bag is filling up, it has doubled in size in the past day. It seems like it is getting full and hard. Her ligaments seem like they are getting looser, but are still there. Her belly is getting nice and round. Up until the past couple weeks, she didn't even look pregnant. She is starting to act a little odd. Tried to groom her today and she wanted to attack the brush. Would actually stand up on hind legs and try to head butt it right out of my hands. Any idea how much longer. Don't know when she was bred and I'm afraid of missing it and her having problems.

18. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Each doe is so individual. I have does that paw for a couple of days prior to delivery and some that paw only a few hours before. They all call to me though and don't want me to leave them....very different from the spoiled "feed me mommy" calls that many goats are in the habit of doing even when already well fed. My goats seem to want hand-holding so to speak during their deliveries. I have a small herd and don't work away from home and spend alot of time with them anyway. ( By the way, my 4th doe delivered at 150 days, a singleton doe, first freshener, a 9 pounder, no assistance needed. The doe was a 1/2 Boer bred to a Fullbred Boer.)

All of my does have had a small white discharge weeks prior to delivery but when it came time for the real thing, the discharge was clear and stringy. They appear to be miserable and in mild labor as evidenced by painful sounding bleating now and then and looking or biting at their sides. Suddenly there will be a large red water baloon looking thing hanging out and they are on their way. The very first thing to do if you are there when the baby comes out is to wipe the airway mouth and nose) clean with whatever you have handy....they are gasping for air and you don't want gook to get sucked into their lungs. Use yours hands or straw or your shirt if you are caught off guard without your "birthing bag". Genarally, mom takes care of all of this just fine and we humans are just in the way, but now and then we can save a kid or two that may be overlooked by Mom. There is great wisdom in Mother Nature. If a kid sounds real wet in the lungs, hold them by their hind legs real quick and hang or swing if necessary them head down and shake that wet stuff out...let gravity and a bit of centrifugal force get the amniotic fluid out of the airway and lungs if it seems to be real bad and gurgly. They are slippery, use a towel or your shirt to get a good grip. It won't hurt the kid. You certainly don't have to do this with all your kids, it is simply something to know in the back of your mind if you have a kid that sounds like it is drowning in it's lungs and choking badly when it comes out.....Diane