question about discharge

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DQ, Dec 19, 2006.

1. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I have a female pygmy whom I think was bred in september. recently I noticed that her 2 herdmates a buck (recently allowed in to breed doe number 2) and a doe were beating the heck out of her one day ( which may or may not be related) and pulled her out rather puzzled. I then noticed that she had a large glob of goo hanging from her vulva. it's hard to judge exactly how much but at least a tablespoon. is this normal? I have not observed this much goo before. it was somewhat greenish which made me cocerned about infection, although I'm not sure how much of this color was due to the poop pellets and hay and various gunk that were stuck to it. It did not seem to have much of an odor, at least nothing particularly strong. I stayed with her for about an hour to observe her behaviour and really didn't notice anything unusual. she was munching hay, was active and alert and her usual "I like you if your scratching me or have food" self. am I concerned for no reason?

2. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

If I was you I would be getting that doe out of the pen and putting her where no one can beat on her because if she is bred the others will cause her to loose the baby or babies she is carrying. I'm not a expert but if that was my goat I would be moving her away from the ones beating the heck out of her. That not good for a bred doe.

Good Luck on your goat. :)

3. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I removed her for a day than reintroduced her, everything seems to be back to normal with everyone getting along. tonight at last check they were all quietly munching hay in the dark. I have not observed any more "goo" and have been checking regularly.

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Could the Goo be from the Buck? Just because she might be bred doesn't mean that he would stay off her.
    I believe you did the right think taking her out, but you have to be careful, if you are not around they might still be beating her up, and that is a sure way to lose the baby. Good luck

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A good mature buck wouldn't bother with behavior like this, a young buck can't be expected to have anything other than behavior like this. I would not put this buck in the pen to breed the does, I would put the doe in heat with the buck. The other doe saw the weakness in the doe, likely she was running from the buck than laying down where he bred her anyway...remember bucks and does show dominance over each other by mounting them and dragging them down to the ground.......you see this in young kid play all the time. So the does pen mate joined in on beating the doe up...everything with goats is about dominance, being able to take advantage of a doe like this tobring her down a notch on the hen pecking order, is good for the doe...means more food, a warmer place to sleep etc.

As your buck matures, if he has good genes for personality he will not act like this. It's dangerous for your bred does to have this happen. The goo is likely semen. Vicki

6. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

he is a young buck but he has been basically well behaved after I had to have a few little conversations with him initially... up until this. I'm sure that doe number two was just following his lead or maybe he was following her??? I do spend alot of time with them also and I am able to observe them while while riding and "playing" with the other critters, so I'm not just getting a five minute picture while doing chores. that certainly doesn't rule out her getting beat up though. he was going to be coming out as soon as he had a friend to live with and I know my nubianxlamancha is bred ( I don't know if he has gotten anything done by himself, he seemed frustrated so I helped him out with a cement block, he definitly managed then)I have seen semen left on the does after breeding and this discharge was much more gelatinous and was retaining a spherical shape while dangling out, nothing like the semen I have seen. I guess if she comes back into season I will know she lost her kid(s). I will have to remove him I suppose now for sure to make sure I catch when /if she comes into heat and make sure she does not get bred now. I have been told not to have "late" babies around here as they don't do well, don't know about the truth of that though. thanks for input.

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Well hopefully he did not dislodge her mucous plug. That would be much more solid mucous than semen. There isn't anything to do but wait and watch her, not much to see in an early abortion, a wet bloody under tail is all you usually see. Further along you may or may not find some tiny shrimp size fetus's. Hopefully she will be fine, if she does recycle in about 8 weeks from the mucous, than you know she slipped the pregnancy. Vicki