Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My leased Direct TV DVR has died. Since I don't own the equipment surely Direct TV is responsible for providing a new one at no charge. I didn't quite follow what the lady at customer service was telling me as the kids were talking and the dog barking :flame:

Has anyone had leased equipment from Direct TV break and how was it handled?

The customer service lady was saying something about a $70 call out fee for someone to come and look at their DVR. And I think she said something about depending on why the DVR broke I may be responsible for paying for a new one or could get one for free. For $100 I can go to Best Buy and just get a whole brand new unit.

Any advice?

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I don't have the DVR with my Direct TV but I took the equiptment insurance for $5/mo so I didn't have to pay to replace the box if something such as lightening, floods or a cat destroying it happened.

I think it might depend on what caused it to die-if it was a manufacturing defect I assume they'd replace but if Junior or Spot pushed it off the table and it broke, I have a feeling the owner would be responsible.

I know there is a service call fee, I don't know how much it is. Maybe you could take it into the local satellite store and save the service call.

Good Luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
busybee870 said:
well if its leased and they want 70.00 to come out id cancel my service. but thats me

I agree.

I have a DirecTV DVR, too, and it has never worked "right". It is a piece of junk! As soon as my period I promised them to have service with them is over, I'm going back to Dish Network. At least their equipment works right.

I haven't ever called them to do anything about it-I just put up with it for now, as I'm sure they would do everything possible to wiggle out of trying to make it right, and I'm just not willing to waste my time and energy just to be angry in the end, anyway.

I'm sorry you're having this problem with them, but frankly, I'm not in the least bit surprised.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The $70 is a service call fee. If you are responsible (like kids stuck toast in it) then you will have to pay for a new one on top of the $70. If its their problem, then you are not suppose to even pay for the service call or the new DVR.
The one that is $100 at Best Buy is a good choice if you know how to hook it up.
My ex use to work for DirecTV.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Well I do not have Direct TV, but I do have leased equipment from Dish Network..... I've had it for 3 years, the only thing I've ever had to have replaced is my remote for the main DVR box.... I called the customer service department, they shipped me a new one at no charge at all to me....

I would call again, and explain to them that you did not understand what was told to you earlier..... When I have "important" calls to make, I mae my bunch sit down and read or color, with NO talking allowed until I am off the phone..... Usually works out quite well.....

Good luck.....

·
Registered
875 Posts
Our Direct Tv DVR died, I called customer service, they sent us a new unit with a postage paid box to return the defective one. Did not charge us one cent.....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it die within the 90 warranty period? Or had you had the unit a while?

I paid $100 for the DVR, which I don't own, on top of which I pay the monthly lease fee of $4.99. I think the hard drive went bad because it has been freezing up and we had to reset the DVR to get it to work. But now - completely dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.