Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my family has been hunting white tail deer around here for a long time, but over the years we've mostly gotten does, doelings and button bucks (mostly cause' we think they taste better). This year however my husband shot a very nice 7 point buck, and when we skinned it and butcherd it, it had very, very little fat. A few days later my dad shot a nice big doe (actually, almost exactly the same size), but it had a TON of fat on it. And thats how we (mostly) remember our deer being - having a decent amount of fat to cut/trim out... but the buck got me to wondering. Is that just how bucks are?? Do they just not have nearly as much fat as does/yearlings in general? Or was he just a fluke???

Lots of thanks in advance!!

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I hunt in farm country where there are plenty of crops to provide protein for the deer. On Thursday I killed a large doe and on Friday I harvested a large bodied buck. Since I process my own I have a good chance to compare the two. Once skinned and quartered I could not tell the difference as both were nice and fat. Each had good hair coats also. A buck in rut and in an area where he had to work to locate a doe could be living off body reserves and on the thin side. He will be forgoing feeding in order to find a mate as the rut season is the only time he is potent. This is not the case here as there is a doe always nearby.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,614 Posts
This time of year they have been doing alot of running taking off weight chasing Does.Hopefully they can put on some weight by dead of Winter.

Turkeys will do the same in Spring.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Mnay bucks...especially dominant bucks...eat very little during the rut. They burn a lot of their energy reserves during this time onaccounta they are almost constantly in search of does and get very little rest, they can do a lot of fighting and mating.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Mnay bucks...especially dominant bucks...eat very little during the rut. They burn a lot of their energy reserves during this time onaccounta they are almost constantly in search of does and get very little rest, they can do a lot of fighting and mating.
Those were the days aye, men?
Here in Indiana most of our scrub bucks are way leaner than the same sized doe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts