Question about diarhea.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rich2748, Sep 25, 2005.

1. rich2748

rich2748 Well-Known Member

We have had a continuing problem with diarhea in our dairy goats. We have a Saanen doe, Saanen buck, a Nubian doe and a five month old Alpine doe that repeatedly have diarhea. When this comes on milk production goes down,in the milkers, and the appetite is nearly nonexistent. We have a five year old Sable doe, a five year old Alpine doe and a seven year old Alpine that do not get this condition. A year ago a local vet said it was Coccidiosis and prescribed Corrid. This seemed to work last year. However, this summer and fall the condition returned and the Corrid does not seem to help. The Nubian and the Saanen doe were purchased last year. The Saanen buck is the kid of the Saanen doe. The older Alpines have been on our property all their lives.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? or what the treatment should be? We have given all of our goats CD&T shots. Recently we lost a two month old Sable/Alpine cross doe to what we suspect was some type of worm infection.

Other than this we have had very few health problems. We have had ketosis and mastitis, but nothing else that we know of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have no confidence in our local vets knowing anything much about goats.

2. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

If they were my goats, I'd worm them and give them probios.

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

not that i know a thing, but coccidia was my first thought, there are other meds for coccidia than corrid. worming may help. try looking around fiascofarms.com or goatworld.com for more help and advice.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

sounds like coccidia to me. try di-methox 40% injectable.
    1 cc per 10 pound daily. you can get this at jefferspet.com. 3 weeks on and 3 weeks of. take some fecal samples to your vet and see if it helps. lots of probiotic will help to get some bacteria back in the rumen. you also can give vit b to stimulate the appetite.
    susanne

5. rich2748

Thank you for your advice. We do worm regularly. We use an herbal wormer from Fiasco Farm. We have also used another wormer that I cannot remember the name of. We have not used probiotics but will do so. Thank you again.

6. rich2748

Susanne, what probiotics would you give a goat? Would we need to withhold milk when giving di-methox?

7. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I have talked to a Safegaurd rep and he has said because of built up resistance you need to worm your goat with twice the recommended amount of dosage. If you don't know if your goat has parasites, pull down the lower eye lid, the flesh there should be bright pink or reddish, if it is pale or light pink then it has parasites and should be wormed.
    The only other reason for diahrea besides whats been mentioned would be not enough hay or poor hay quality or too rich of green grazing such as alfalfa only.

8. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

A fresh fecal sample under the vets microscope could tell you what you are dealing with. Fecal exams don’t cost a bunch. If it is Coccidiosis or stomach worms….then let him prescribe what meds to give, and also give you advice on getting on a preventative schedule so you can get ahead of this instead of dealing with them after they get diarrhea.
    My two cents worth is to treat them for what they have, not what you think they have.

Diarrhea can be caused by several things besides Coccidiosis or stomach worms . The following links are a great source of info
    http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/diarrhea.htm
    http://www.sheepandgoat.com/metabol.html#scours

Thanks,
    Scott
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com/

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Do you do regular fecals? There is a lot of controversy over herbal wormers. If you haven't done fecals, I would suspect a high worm burden. If you can get a good fecal sample, have that done. If not, worm with a "regular" wormer. The herbals may work ok for a maintenance dose, but I don't think it will help if your goats have a high load of worms now. The thing with cocci is that it normally doesn't make adult goats sick. So I would think there is something else going on in addition to cocci.

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If you haven't done a fecal on these guys that's the place to start and you'll know if you're dealing w/ cocci, worms or both. I can tell cocci diarrhea because it has a definite distinctive (and not good!) odor. Adults generally don't get overloads but not always. Also Corrid can take huge doses to do the job and many goat keepers have reported little success w/ it. Do your goats look unthrifty in any way? Pot bellies, rough coat, underweight, pale gums and eyelids? This could also be some type of infection too, but parasites would be first in line.