Question about dead battery

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DeafDevilDog, Nov 2, 2004.

1. DeafDevilDog

DeafDevilDog New Member

See lots of dead batteries (car and marine/deep-cycle/lawn) at local trash transfer station today, I am wondering: Can I recycle dead 'deep-cycle' battery back to full charge via small solar panel (5w) as trickle charging?

If I bring my multimeter to check out each dead battery, what is the voltage that acceptable for re-charging? less than 10.5 or ?

Just thought to save some $$$...

Thanks!

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

The chances of any of them being any good are pretty slim. Now the best place I know of to get a cheap batter is either Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. Both have a program for used batteries. What that means essentially is if you come to a store and buy a new battery and your old one is dead and then you find out in the next day or so it was in fact your alernator. You bring the battery back having only used it for a day or two and get an alternator. They cant sell that battery as new as it may be dirty or have a scratch or two so they sit it on a rack as ''used'' and mark it down to about twenty bucks or so. Perfectly good new battery for twenty bucks or so. I was a Dvision Manager at Advance and over several stores. We regularly sold some of the most expensive batteries of all types for the 21 99 used battery price. Some keep them in the back of the store for commercial accounts ie garages. Go down and ask as usually the only difference is they may place a different sticker on the front of the battery. Last month I bought a 80 dollar high amp dual terminal at Advance for 24 dollars tax and all

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Dripping,
    Do they sell deep cycle batteries that way as well?
    There is a battery store here in Denver that sells reconditioned deep cycle batteries for $25.

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

We have a place that sells reconditioned batterys...I'm in need of a couple of smaller deep cycle 12volt for the trolling motor...I've read there are really only 4 manfactures of batteries like these (something like that) and they just rebadge everything...

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on what you are going to use the battery for, a trolling motor battery may not be the best choice, as they aren't real "deep cycle" batteries. They aren't really suitable for off-grid power systems, for example.

Jim

6. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

I live off the grid and depend on batteries for power storage. It all depends on what you are going to use the battery for and how dead it is. Check it with a hygrometer and see what the specific gravity is. The closer to 1.0 it is, the worse off the battery is. Also, how long has it been dead? Over time the lead sulfate crystals will "moss" the battery and at that point, unless you have a high amperage charger (ie car alternator) your chances of recovering it are slim to none. Additionally, consider that if it was left outside below freezing in a discharged state it may have frozen. For home power, 6volt batteries are the most common. Some times you see 2V batteries wired together into 12 volt banks or higher banks. I wouldn't mess around with a 12volter for home power but I might run an electric fence charger or a trolling motor off one if I could get it to reliably hold a charge.

7. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have seen deep cycles from time to time. The other poster is correct that most of the batteries you buy are the same from name brand to name brand and only the sticker is different. If you buy a reconditioned make sure you know what their idea of a recondition is. Some are just relabled due to scratchs etc. Some just replace the acid. Some actually test them and replace the plate that happens to be bad etc etc. I had a reconditoned battery that I bought for 30 dollars in an old 69 Charger with a 440 stroker and high compression pistons. It turned that 500 plus horsepower motor over with no problem for 6 years. On the other hand I bought a ac delco and got the highest amp they had and spent a big chunk for it and it lasted less than 6 months. Took it back and got another and it lasted a year. When I sold it it had another recondition in it and last I knew it is still there three years later. I see it every Sat night at the drag strip.

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member