Question about cool weather crops.....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Miz Mary, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in zone 8 , it is rainy and cold ... last night there was frost...... soon it will be time to plant things like lettus, peas, spinach, radishes ---- cool season crop--- my question is -- do I need to make a cold frame so they wont get water logged from the rain ???????

2. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

I am in the same enviroment as you are. I put them right in the ground. BTW- I am in zone 8b and it is time for my spinach to go into the ground.

Kathy

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are also in zone 8 in AZ. We started all our crops in the greenhouse. We won't plant til mid April or early May. Where in OR are you? We used to live in CA near Brookings. We know what you mean about wet. I personally would put in a greenhouse or cold frame. Keeps things safe from slugs; can't remember what we used to call those monsters in Crescent City.

4. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in Rainier, which is across the river from Longview, Wa. An hour from Portland, and an hour from the Astoria coast !! O.K. ,,,,put them directly in the ground, but do they need a cover from all the rain ?!?!?!!?