Question about colors of coats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure out the color patterns, and I am getting conflicting information. I've tried searching online, but some things are not very clear at all.

I have a beautiful Alpine buckling that I now know is a perfect chamoisee.

I was sold a beautiful Nigerian Dwarf doeling. Her previous owner told me she was chamoisee. She is a very nice milk chocolate brown. Her dorsal stripe is a slightly darker brown, and her legs have slightly darker brown stockings. She has blue eyes! And a very small patch of white on her head. When you look closely at the brown coat, you can see it has white mixed in in such an even way that it's effect is why the coat is lighter than the stripe and the stockings. But it isn't enough to give her coat a salt and pepper effect. She is very pretty. It looks sort of like what happens when you put a crayon on its side and press lightly as you color. But is this chamoisee?

My chamoisee buck is tan that is outlined on the dorsal, on the face, the ears and on his legs with black. He is so beautiful!

TIA!

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Still probably Chamoisee.

This is from the ADGA website.

Ruth

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

The pattern of the darker brown matches that of the black markings of the chamoisee described in that snippet, Ruth, but it seems like for it to be chamoisee the markings should be black? That is what is confusing me!Thanks for replying.

4. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Jill, if you look closely, even the blacks are really a very dark brown. I'm sure you can classify this one chamoisee. I always get confused with the "cou's". :rolleyes:

Isn't the Oberhasli actually derived from Alpines? I do see some Alpines that dark from time to time.

Ruth

5. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

As I understand, Obies were seperated from the Alpine herd book in the late 1970's. I have several very dark chamoisee alpines, classic blood bays, if you think in terms of horses.

6. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Lavender chamoisee.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Huh? Are you referring to my brown chamoisee Nigie? Is that called lavendar chamoisee, chamoisee?

8. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

sounds like a broken chamosisee to me because of the white spot on her. but suggest you ask this on one of the ND yahoo lists.

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've always understood that chamys can have brown points as well as black. Some of these colors can really stump you - like schwartzal!

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I thought it was broken if it appeared on the side of the body or the legs. I don't know about the star on the forehead, which in her case is very small, barely a snip.
    She sure is pretty, though, whatever it's called.

11. chamoisee

Lavender chamoisee is like a regular chamoisee pattern except that the dark points are brown instead of black. See my son's doe Amber: [​IMG]

12. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Okay, I just saw a photo of a doe and part of the caption said, "chamoisee with brown points." So it can be chamoisee with brown points.

That one was tan with brown points, but this doeling of mine is definitely brown. The blue eyes look a little startling with her coloring, like a person of African American descent with blue eyes.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

That is a sweet looking goat, chamoisee. But now I am more confused than ever. Why would they call brown lavender?
    This goat is a beautiful medium-brown milk chocolate color all over, and has the chamoisee markings in that dark brown. She has blue eyes and a very tiny snippet of white on the top of her head.

She is beautiful.

14. chamoisee

Is the color similar to the doe I pictured? The reason they call it lavender is that when you shave them, they have a purplish tint to the coat, at least that is what they say. To me it just looks brown. :shrug: Some breeders do not like using the "L" word, so they call it chamoisee with brown points, but lavender is what it is. Word games.

15. chamoisee

Mark Baden of Olentangy has a LOT of lavender in his herd (that's where our doe came from). Search for Olentangy Alpines and you'll find his site. It'll have lots of pics of different sorts of lavender. Some folks really like this color, others hate it.

16. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Our little doeling---I looked at her very closely today. In the bright sunlight there is even some red lights under the brown. It is mixed very, very evenly with white hairs so that it looks like a solid color but as I said it looks like a crayon put on it's side and brushed over paper so that you evenly see some of the paper through it. Maybe that is some stage of agouti? She looks like milk chocolate, with dark chocolate chamoisee markings.

Olentangy Alpines is a nice site, beautiful goats, but they don't specify which ones they identify as "lavender"...

17. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

18. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thank you, APPway!
    I still can't quite grasp what the color they are calling lavender is. Maybe if the goats weren't shaved or the pictures were larger...

My Alpine chamoisee is so beautiful He is all a nice warm deep tan/brown color, and then he looks like he was outlined all over with a black charcoal pencil or a sharpie. He is delicately boned and has pretty eyes and ears. Everyone who sees him gasps and says "Ooooooo!". W named him Cedar.
    My other Alpine buckling, a far more valuable animal, is a great, big, black goat with a white patch on his side, and white stockings, and swiss markings on his face, just gets a few friendly pats while everyone fawns over Cedar. (They stay away from Canyon, he already stinks!) We named the big Alpine Kronk. It fits!

19. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Jillis,
    lavender when unshaven is like a swiss mocha color what I am saying is it is like coffee with cream in it. It also has a redish tint to it because of the sun or if it is a dark lavender when shaved it will have a very light pinkish or purpleish type tint to it
    the white spot on your kid would be considered a white cap so the way I would register it would be
    lavender chamoisee with white cap. But that is just me Do you have a pic of the Kid??

APPway

20. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Thank you APPway. I do have pictures of her, but my Kodak download program isn't working. Very frustrating! I will have to go to a photo center, download the pictures onto a CD and then put them into my pictures file, upload to photobucket and THEN post them!

Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it?

Maybe tomorrow...