Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed a kohler 17kw for backup power and the way its set up it runs a test every monday for around 30 min and it seems to me to be a waste of propane but the warranty is void if we don't let it test. It also charges the battery for the starter while its testing. could we install a bank of batteries to light our barns by using the charger for the starter battery,
and get something out of that wasted propane? We want to use leds in the barn , we thought they would keep the fire threat down and we don't really need a ton of light in there mostly just in case we have to be in there at night and it wouldn't be for very long. We have small solar motion sensor lights know.
the battery charger for the starter is 6 amp floating/equalizer and runs on 120 volt the charger cable has a 10 ags in line fuse.

·
Voice of Reason
53,231 Posts
could we install a bank of batteries to light our barns by using the charger for the starter battery, and get something out of that wasted propane?
Sure, but how much charging do you think you'll do in 1/2 hour each week? It's hardly worth the trouble.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats what I needed to know
thanks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sounds like a lot of run time..did you read the warranty or call Kohler to see what the minimum run time and maximum interval is to meet the warranty requirements?

My Onan runs about 6 times/year (unless it's cloudy) and works fine. I do remove the battery if the interval is long and put it on a solar charger.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes ,I talked to them and they where strict about the warranty although it does have an option to manually test at our whim. Im confused by the rest of what you wrote are you on grid or solar or both? forgive me but I don't know what a onan is. not real savvey on this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I have a 12Kw Generac brand unit which runs for 12 minutes per week. It trickle charges the battery from house current, so the battery is always topped off.

The Harbor Freight $200 45w solar battery charger kit will run your barn with juice left over. I use one at my barn to keep a 12v marine battery charged. I operate a 12v electric fence charger 24/7 and flourescent and LED lights every evening. I have a 1200w inverter that runs a small fan when I'm working in there in the summer or a small power tool.

Total cost was $200 for the kit, $80 for the Exide battery, $35 for LED lights and $89 for the inverter. The flourescent lights came with the kit. Oh, I forgot the two 12v 65W tractor rear work lights for $12 each. They light up the barnyarn for about 20 minutes each night.

Genebo

·
Registered
542 Posts
An Onan is another generator, like Honda, or Generac. The one I have is 10kw and propane powered.

I have an off grid cabin that I leave unoccupied for long periods. I remove the battery from the generator and keep it charged with a small solar panel. It might be 3-4 months between generator starts.

Did you read the warranty, talk to Kohler, or take the installer's recommendation?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i talked to kohler and the installer and they showed me in the owners manual warranty I guess I shouldn't be so worried about the warranty they've not helped me alot in the past. I could just do it manually. It really kills me to hear it run with my 2.30 cent propane just for the warranty. I thought it could be put to work doing some charging for something. and I do have some solar lights already in the barn, but I thought I could run more with a bank of batteries that were charged by the wasted propane.
Genebo good ideas thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts