Question About Catchment Water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ky_angus, Jul 4, 2006.

1. ky_angus

ky_angus New Member

Hi Everyone,

Can someone clue me in regarding the viability of catchment water systems? If you are using such a system, are you using for both family and livestock?

How large of surface area would we need to collect enough water for a family of 4, 4 head of cattle, and a few chickens? We live in zone 8 and get anywhere from 30-48 inches of rain a year ( depending on whether it is a dry year or not ).

As Always, Many Thanks For Your Help and Happy Fourth of July !!!!!!!

2. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

If you mean using rainwater, there is a pretty good article in this month's Contryside magazine about using above ground cisterns for water storage...

3. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I live in central Illinois. My cistern is filled by the runoff from the house roof. The house is 1350 sq ft plus the attached 2 car garage. In 15 years I've only run out of water once. Only 1 person but up to 13 horses at a time. Last summer it was pretty dry and I had enough water for 6 heifers, 2 horses, 6 sheep and me. The key is to have a big enough cistern to store the water between rains. Lots of people around here have 1500 gal cisterns and have to haul water all the time. My cistern is 8000 gallons and that works here.

You didn't say if the kids were teenagers that needed to take 3 showers a day and changed their clothes 4 times a day, making tons of laundry. That makes a big difference!

Kathie

4. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

:D That what the purchase of a non electric washer for just those teenagers to use would be for...if not, ya hand them a wash plunger, direct them to the bathtub then the clothes line LOL

5. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Go to rainwatercollection.com and get their book.It will answer ALL your questions.Our system is designed from this book and it is great.

Little advice,buy your cistern tanks somewhere else.Plastic works great.They go above ground and no they won't freeze unless it gets polar.

Good Luck!