Homesteading Forum banner

Question about castrated male goats

670 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  billygoatridge 
#1 ·
Forgive me for being ignorant, but I have a question.

Tonight I went to my first-ever sheep and goat sale and there was one or two goats that were obviously healthy male goats but had been castrated. The thing is, two of these goats were VERY BIG, one weighed 150 pounds and the other one was 212 pounds (he was big!). So why would you have a 5 foot tall male goat that weighs that much (obviously a mature goat) that is castrated? What on earth would you do with him - besides feed him? He can't breed and I'm sure he is WAY WAY WAY too old (and big) to eat (unless maybe AT&T was having their company picnic) lol.

I'm mystified. Knowing how practical and frugal farmers/ranchers are about feeding critters that don't "earn their keep", why would anyone want this guy? (By the way, he went for about $120 at the sale.)

Thanks,

donsgal

#5 ·
They make great pets, brush reducers, cart pullers (If I could find a huge wether from a clean herd, I'd buy it in an instant for cart/packing) buck companions, or make a good dinner. :)

#6 ·
150-200 lb.wethers,1-2 years old,in good flesh make excellant slaughter animals.They produce large carcasses that can be cut into nice size steaks and roasts.Many of our customers want a large goat and we buy to slaughter all the animals of this size and type that we can find.Best of luck.

#7 ·
animalfarmer said:
150-200 lb.wethers,1-2 years old,in good flesh make excellant slaughter animals.They produce large carcasses that can be cut into nice size steaks and roasts.Many of our customers want a large goat and we buy to slaughter all the animals of this size and type that we can find.Best of luck.
I'm surprised about this. I would think that a big goat like that would be tough, I guess I am thinking more of a lamb/sheep comparison than a comparison to beef, which of course is a big slaughter animal. Well, this guy was sure going to be a bounty for someone. He was beautiful. Personally, I think I would just keep him as a cart/pet goat instead of eating him. But that is the softy in me.

donsgal

#8 ·
donsgal, it's all in how you cook it. If you slow-smoke with marinade and basting, or if you crock pot or oven bake it, it's great. Goat meat is just like rabbit, in that it must be cooked with moist heat and cooked quite a while, if older, to get really tender.

When we are done smoking a 2-y-o goat, the meat just falls right off the bone. Mmmmm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.