question about building live traps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myrandaandkids, Dec 29, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

:help: not sure if this is where to ask, but cant find any other good answers on the net, not sure where to look either.
    my 10 year old, much to my pleasure has taken an interest in trapping small animals, rabbits, fox, racoons, and so on, unfortunatley with the live trap we have the only thing he can catch is these tiny little red squirrels and i hate cleaning those little buggers, so he has gotten bored with catching only to let go the same animal he will catch again in half an hour, however, we still have a tone of heavy gauge rabbit mesh and lots of chicken wire left over from summer projects, does anyone know how we could utalize this to build variouse sized traps? we have some wood available for the project, but every site we have found so far has plans for traps that are more wood and hardley any if any at all wire in the designe, any ideas are help full.

2. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

google...building a live trap..or ...live animal trap...theres some good traps(sites) there..easy too

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

My kids have built several traps using a coffee can for small animals, or a 5 gal plastic bucket for larger. You could even build a cage with one end being the spring trap. Cut a piece of wire mesh to cover the opening of your "trap", attach to the spring bar of a rat trap, bolt the other end of the rat trap to the side of the bucket, can, or square cage. When the spring mechanism is tripped, the flap of mesh springs shut over the hole. Works like a charm. Even catches pests like small coons.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

get somne of that 2x3 or 2x4 wire figure what animal you are after lay the wire out flat bend it in right angles untill you have the square leave tabs on the wire to pull around and fasten it together now cut 2 end pieces a little longer then the height leaveing tabs on one end slip it into the trap on a slight angle in toeards the back lose rap the tabe around the top it will push in but not out do the same on the other side you have a live trape

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

You have a small trap. Copy it. That's what I did when I was a kid, I got the smallest Havahart and scaled it up. They all are the same design. Plus the coffee can trap mentioned works very well. And, you can substitute the wire for the lumber in most plans.

6. ruester

ruester Member

Footholds are perfectly safe, even to dogs and cats, and do a fine job, with multiple set variations. Get him a `1/2 doz 1 1/2s and turn him loose!! He'll learn !!

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

You can take a new piece of stove pipe, cover one end with wire. Lean it up at a slight angle, with the wired end on bottom. Tie or wire it up so it doesn't fall over. Toss some bait in the bottom. (canned sardines work great) Coons and opossums can go inside but cant back, back up the pipe, if the angle is steep enough.