Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a very bad fall on the ice and came down hard on my left side. It knocked the wind out of me, and I felt like I was going to puke, but other than that I thought I was ok. I finished chores, and now my left collarbone area hurts, about a 4-5 on the pain scale. There is no swelling or bruising, but I think (?) I might see a spot that doesn't look right. And I think I might feel a spot, like it might be broken. I do have insurance but I'd rather not spend hours at the clinic if there's no treatment besides Advil and taking it easy (hah, like that will ever happen). Any of you good folks have an experience you'd care to share with me? TIA

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unless it's a really bad break, like bits and pieces are poking out of your skin- a doctor is going to x-ray you and then put a arm brace on you. It is sorta like a sling for a broken arm except your arm goes over your chest (like when you say the pledge of allegence) and an extra strap goes around your waist to stabilize everything. You may have fractured your bone, in which case, there may not be any swelling. Better get it checked out just to make sure. I hope you feel better!

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, guess you can't edit the thread title, it's supposed to read "Clavicle".

Yeah, it hurts, but a lot less than I would think a broken bone would hurt. It feels like a slight dimple near my breastbone. Crap.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
When my brother in law broke his clavacle crashing his motorcycle they had to do surgery to plate it in place so it would heal properly and he'd have proper function of his shoulder. I'd suggest going to get it looked at, particularly since it's not a cost issue just a time issue. Better to get it treated properly now than have it bother you for the rest if your life if it doesn't heal quite right.

·
Premium Member
21,537 Posts
My daughter broke her clavicle last summer and also had to have surgery to plate it back together to ensure full use of her arm. Also, she is very slender with prominent collarbones and preferred not to have the knob of knitted bone that usually forms without surgery.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A very real possibility based on how you landed is that you could have what is called an A.C. separation.

If you follow your clavicle (the one that doesn't hurt) with your fingers out from the center over your sternum, trace out the clavicle to where there is a little dip, and it will travel up a bit. There is a joint there between where your clavicle meets with the acromium (this travels back to join with your scapula). The ligaments and such that hold this joint together can stretch or tear causing the joint to separate.. come apart. This is very painful.

Either a fractured clavicle or an AC separation are diagnosed with an x-ray and exam and there are simple splint/braces that can be applied in the doctor's office to treat whichever it might be. Either of these will help greatly to alleviate the pain and help it heal.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
DH broke his about 6 years ago. He rolled the ATV he was on when he it a big rock he didn't see thru all the dust. He did wait about 10 hours to go and he's no wimp, the pain was bad. All they did was give him off work 6 weeks (he's a mechanic, so needs both arms), some Vicodin and a sling. He has a large lump of calcification there now.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took some Advil and a two hour nap, and it feels somewhat better (maybe a 2-3). After reading what snowshoehair posted, I'm inclined to think this injury is a seperation, it's right where she described. I can touch it with very little discomfort, and it appears there is a tiny dip in that area, I can feel a seperation. I have full range of motion. I work at our local hospital, and if it feels worse tomorrow, I'll get it looked at. I really appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Let us know what you find out! An orthopedic doc should be able to tell by looking but an x-ray will give them a better idea of the severity.

Football players get these a lot... so no game for you this weekend! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts