question about breeding and pygmy care

Discussion in 'Goats' started by myrandaandkids, Jul 13, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

i have read that pygmys can breed year round, is this true? can my pygmy buck breed my 7 monthold nubian/alpine doeling? if so is she too young ? they share a pen now should they be seperated? pygmys are kind of fat anyway, how do i tell if my pygmy doe has already been bred? if she is should she be seperated from her mate? carmel pygmy does coat is very dry, recomendations for coat conditioner? maybe stupid questions, but i dont know the answers so i was hoping someone out there could help. :)

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Yes, pygmies can breed year round.

Also, I have had pygmy bucks try to breed at 2 wks. old, so watch out! Those boys start young!

You buck will probably try to breed, and may or may not be successful, they can get creative.

Most people wait till their dairy does are 70-80# to prevent growth stunting, so you'll need to weight her with a tape or otherwise.

To see if your doe is pregnant you can do a pooch test, or wait to see if she comes into heat the next month. I would let the buck cover the doe for at least a month or two.

I don't think that having a buck with your does after they are bred would be a problem, but I would definetly start thinking about securing the buck pen Really Well for when she kids(or a month before) and needs to have him apart.

And BOSS helps well with dry skin/coats, as well as loose mineral, and alfalfa pellets.

Hope this helps,
    Megan

3. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Yes pygmy goats can breed all year round. I have a female pygmy that wants to have her a guy but she can't for now. I'm waiting on getting a small buck for her next year.

Little buck boys want to start their buck stuff at 2 weeks of age. I have a little lamacha boy buck right now that is only 2 1/2 weeks old and he already wants to ride my leg. The know and learn stuff fast..

If your going to breed a doe I would wait until she is old enough and weighs enough to get pg and breed her with her own size of goat not a big big buck.

I have certain breeds of goats and I know of people that will breed a goat at 8 months old or when they have reached a certain weigh.

When you do breed your doe/does do not keep the buck with them because if your going to have milk to drink later it may have a bucky taste or the buck might try to fight with doe and cause her to loose the baby.

But it up to you on what you decide. If you want to keep a buck with a doe or not. IMO I wouldn't but that is me.

Just one last thing do not breed a small pgymy goat with a great big buck because if you do. You may loose the doe when trying to give birth.

Good Luck on what you decide .