Question about breedeing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dr.Who, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Can a doe still become pregnant if the buck mounts her and performs the deed even though the doe is not in a heat cycle? In other words.. does a doe have to be having a heat cycle in order to be successfully bred?
    Thank you,
    Dr.Who

2. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

In my experience a doe will not stand for breeding unless she is in heat. A young buck will attempt to breed a doe whether they are in heat or not but they do not " complete" the breeding.

3. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

I ask this because I put a buck in with a doe and she was not in heat yet but the buck was very aggressive and managed to corner the doe in the stall and mount her. I saw the whole thing and believe me.. he did the job and she struggled every step of the way. But can the doe get pregnant without being in a heat cycle?
    Dr.Who

4. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

If she wasn't in heat, then she isn't going to ovulate, so no pregnancy.

Personally, I wouldn't let the buck keep after her like that either -- he could quite easily hurt her. My friend had a buck that ended up breaking the doe's leg -- he'd jump her and just ride her around-- she must have stepped the wrong way with all that weight, and snap....

Tracy

5. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

thank you Tracy. I meant to say the same thing. Hopefully this is a very young buck as a big heavy buck acting like this will really injure your does esp. the young ones. and... NO... you have a rape not a pregnancy.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you *sure* the doe wasn't in heat?? Some does(very few) are not hussies and really act like they are being *forced* to breed......so is it possible, you have one of those?? Otherwise, no, she will not be bred if she is not in heat.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I believe they can be bred if They are not in heat... Didn't Goat Freak have a doe get bred at 2 months of age by her father just last year? I kindof doubt that she was in heat, and I know Goat Freak saw it happen, just once, and her father probably overpowered her and the baby didn't know what was going on.

8. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

She is one of those does that you really cant tell if she is cycling. She was bred last year in almost the same exact way. She shows no interest in bucks at all.. and I mean ever. No swollen vulva, no discharge, no tail wagging...Nothing to ever show a heat cycle in her lifetime. If a buck goes near her she just high tails it away from him. She is a very wierd doe. In fact she really doesn't get along with the females .. she is a bully. Well.. I suppose I will wait and see. She has been removed from the buck anyway.
    Dr.Who

9. ozark_jewels

Oh yes, doelings *CAN* come in heat at two months old. I had one get bred that young and I assure you, she was in full blown heat and quite the hussy! If the doe is *not* in heat....there will be no conception.

10. ozark_jewels

Interesting. Did she kid as a result of the forced breeding last year?? She may be one of those does that must be forced.....I have one of those. :rolleyes:

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Yes, she had a beautiful doeling. From all the responses here I gues she was in heat at the time she was forced last year. She is a Nubian and she is the only one that I have with this issue. Maybe she will change when she is older... who knows...I guess I will be drawing her blood soon and send it in to check if she is bred or not due to the fact that I cant tell if she is cycling.
    Dr.Who

12. ozark_jewels

Very interesting, sounds like you have a "forced breeder" there......