question about Angoras Rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by glenda, Mar 16, 2005.

1. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone out there raises these rabbits for there hair.. I have told that you can brush them many times a day and take the hair wash it and then spin it into yarn. I was wondering if there is anyone that might do this as we are getting two and were thinking about doing this.. Any help would be appricated

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Mostly, people shear their angora rabbits, either with hand shears or electric clippers. The other method, when the rabbit is shedding, is to pluck the fibers. The plucked fiber depands a high price then sheared fiber. The method you describe would take a lot of time.

Here's a good website http://www.englishangoras.com/

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Angoras also go through cycles of hair production. I raise French angoras. They moult about every three months. I can either shear them or comb them at that time. I have a couple that comb easily, with no stress and no discomfort (in fact, their wool comes out like a golden retriever shedding in the spring!) Then I have a couple that I shear. Their skin is too sensitive, and their wool holds tighter to the follicle. Combing causes them to get sore skin, and once, when I wasn't paying attention recently with routine grooming, :eek: , a nasty rash. In between moult, routine combing to keep mats down does yield small amounts of fiber, just like you lose hair from your head, but not in any significant amount.

Meg