Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, please forgive me for sounding dumb with this question. Is is possible for Alpine Dairy does to kid twice in a year? I have never ran a buck with my herd full time until this year. I have a Boer doe that I am sure is pregnant. Now I am looking at my two Alpine does and they are both showing signs of being pregnant. Can this be? Is it possible?
I had been told by others that Alpine does would only kid once a year. All of my spring kids were born between the 1st and the 10th of March and the buck was sold and removed from the property on May 13th. So I am figuring somewhere between September 1st and October 13th for kidding since I didn't see any action.
What do you think? Am I just seeing things?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
It's possible but it's not really good for them if you're also milking them. It takes too much out of them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not milking them this year, we let the kids stay on the dams. My work schedule this year didn't allow for milking the girls.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
It's very unlikely. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

What signs are you seeing, good dairy goats have huge bellies, it's a desireable trait. People always assume my dairy goats are pregnant when they aren't because they look like they've got triplets crammed in that belly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, it's been the belly that I've been looking at. But it's not just the normal rounded belly. They seem to have odd shapes to the roundness. One side protrudes a bit more than the other on occasion. I've been feeling to see if I can feel any movement but I haven't yet.
I have been looking at them prior to feeding and even while they are eating. Maybe it's all in my head and I'm wishing that they were so that's what I am seeing.
I'll just have to keep an eye on them.
I thought it was odd that they were looking pregnant.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you chamoisee for your responses to this. I bet you are thinking I'm a big dummy. :rolleyes: These girls are 5 years old and they are quite healthy, especially with their appetites. I'm betting that you are right about their rumen showing. I have been looking at them from the angle of how wide they seem to be getting instead of how low their belly is getting.
Just too much wishful thinking on my part. I just love baby goats and was starting to feel like an expectant grandparent or something. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts