question about a head cold

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Jan 26, 2005.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Thanks in advance, I know most of you on here know a lot more about treating ailments than most dr's do. I have called the dr, and he wouldnt give hubby anything, but he's miserable and he has to fly on Sunday. He needs to be clear, if only for that one day.
    He has a head cold, maybe a sinus thing. He won't take herbs, but might take a tea. The dr doesnt give out meds willy nilly(which I'm glad for) but he's miserable and if he didnt have to fly sunday it would be a different story. So far he's taken liquid Tylenol *cool burst*(makes him sleepy, so he takes it at night), sudafed during the day, plain advil or tylenol for headache(no fever) and halls for his throaght & nose. When I called the dr all he wanted to give him was something for nausa, which he gets with the really bad headaches. I'm pretty sure its a nasty sinus thing, he has the symtoms I always get. Any ideas? I think if its not better but fri afternoon I'll have him go to the mec center, to make sure it doesnt get any worse, and if he gets meds it'll have time to set up. I made something spicy for dinner the other day, and I will again today, to try and loosen things up a little. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!:)

2. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried having him flush his sinuses? Salt water flushed up your nose does wonders for the length of a cold or sinus infection. Daughter had sinus infection last month with green snot and thought she needed antibiotics..one day of flushing sinuses and draining was clear and she felt fine. This also helps in allergies to flush out pollen . We use a 30 cc syringe but guess you could improvise something..maybe others on this forum have ideas for that. People in, I think India, actually have something called a Nethi pot that is designed for this. Keep up lg. amt of liquids,too. DEE

3. almostthere

Thanks Dee, no we havent tried that. I will have to suggest that-maybe a salt water gargle as well. When my neice was little and had an ear infecton after 3 rounds of antibiotics and she was still sick, her mom had to use hydrogen peroxide to clean out her ears, the infection had hardened in her ears and came up to the top in big clumps.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You can get saline nasal sprays just about anywhere that has cold remedies. Works GREAT!

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

My Dh has been having a lot of sinus trouble, one infection after another for the last 2 or 3 years. I heard about using peroxide in the ears, & started using it in November, & I think it has just about cured his problem. I fill his ear up with it using a medicine dropper & he lets it soak for 5 minutes or so. When I put it in my ears, I drop it in & then get it out fast, or it will get behind my eardrum, but he either doesn't care, or it doesn't get behind his.
    It is by far the best cure I have ever found & it works fast.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

A virus cold and sinus infection can be two different things.
    If there is a pus discharge from the sinus, this may need culture for the causative bacteria, and subsequent antibiotic treatment. That's what doctors and their practice is for. I had a nasty sinus infection with yellow pus discharge and it cultured a growth of a bacteria that was treated successfully with a specific antibiotic course for that particular bacteria. Some bacterial sinus infections can get quite serious. I would check that out with a visit to the doctor.

A head cold clears up eventually, and you don't expect a colored nasal discharge. Clear mucousy stuff or runny nose is what you'de expect with a virus based head cold. Some new stuff on the market can help prevent viral colds or lessen the severity, such as Cold-X or Echinilin. After a week with a viral cold, you should feel better and drying up. Sinus infections may linger.

Maybe this helps, and maybe it confuses more. Hopefully some food for thought. :)

7. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

If you can get it, you might try Airborne. It seemed to work pretty well last week when I thought I was going to die from congestion. It tastes a little funky (although, my husband drinks it like it's soda) and is supposed to be lemon lime or 'regular' flavored. It's vitamins, minerals, and herbs.

An inexpensive facial steamer (or a simmering pot on the stove) works wonders. It's one of the only things that will get my ears unplugged.

8. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I just bought an aerosol nasal saline spray. It is extremely soothing, just make sure you don't inhale while using it.

To break up the congestion, use a bowl of just-boiled water with about a teaspoon of lavender oil in it. It clears sinuses in minutes.

Finally, you CANNOT beat Afrin spray. Sure, it's addictive, but if you only use it for 2-3 days you shouldn't have problems. Two sprays every 12 hours. There's nothing that clears up congestion faster.

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Airlines aren't too vocal about the fact that you should not fly if you can not pop your ears (valsalva). Right now he probably can't do this but clearing him up with above mentioned techniques may help.

You can spray the oxymetazalone directly into back of throat where eustachian tubes come out (but it tastes terrible). You can decongest with pseudoephedrine. Beware: if he has hypertension (high blood pressure) pseudoephedrine (a decongestant) and also I think oxymetazalone (Afrin) can raise blood pressure perhaps dangerously so. And don't use Afrin more than 2-3 days or nose will no longer work properly without it.

Rinsing ears will not have an effect: that stays (hopefully, but if his ear drum's ruptured then he'll have no problem with that ear) outside the middle ear and doesn't affect ability to get air in and out middle ear which takes place through eustachian tube (exits back of throat by tonsils). OD no offense but if the peroxide were going behind your eardrum you'd probably be deaf by now- your ear drum hopefully has no holes in it and if it does you shouldn't pour any liquids into your ear. Maybe your ear canal outside the ear drum is more sensitive than your husband's or more prone to a swimmer's ear type problem (see the recent thread on dogs' ears).

Sinuses should be helped to ventilate by pill like pseudoephedrine and maybe by Afrin in nose/saline rinse nose but not by valsalva and no way to test if they're ventilating properly.

Stay well hydrated esp if on decongestants.

He could ask airline staff to let him know when descent starts so he can start valsalvaing BEFORE he notices discomfort- by then it's too late. If he chooses to fly when unable to valsalva and suffers the consequences and/or has sinus pain on or after descent there's not much he can do- if pain is unbearable or not going get to Dr, also for blood from ear or nose (from pressure trauma to sinus/eardrum). I learned the hard way as a teen- after a flight and an excruciating ear had to go to ER where they applied cocaine to the opening of my eustachian tube that side (not recommended to be used without prescription- what if they sold you inadequate stuff or you couldn't administer it on the plane?) (and also bad in hypertension).

Anyway I advise, recalling my agony, he cancel flight if unable to valsalva that day.

10. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you find a neti pot (for nasal irrigation)? They sell them at health food stores and on-line. They help a lot of people with colds, allergies, and sinus problems.

11. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Heh...it's not the powdery white cocaine like you're thinking. The prescription name would be Novocain or Lidocaine. I can tell you first hand that plugged, infected ears are the most excruciating pain ever. It was like when I got my tonsils out, but without the benefit of pain killers. Also, Tylenol #3 (w/ codeine) won't do much for it...

12. almostthere

Thanks for the replies. the dr wouldnt even see him, just gave him a rx for nausa. I am happy with this dr mostly but I really think he should have seen him. he will most likely end up in the mec center and stay in bed for a day or 2 before he leaves. I saw that pkg of "Airborn" at CVS just last night and wondered what it was about. Not traveling if he cant pop his ears is exactly what I was thinking. I dont know what is going to happen with that. This is a business trip. He doesnt have high bp. I'm still watching him.

13. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm surprised no one has mentioned chicken soup. This traditional remedy has been tested to provide benefits to colds and flus. So I would have him sipping chicken soup (real chicken soup--not ramen noodle) and tea.

In the tea I would add lemon and honey. And a tblsp of elderberry extract. Or even hot lemonade (real lemonade) with honey.

In addition, I would put his face over a bowl of boiled water (with a towel over his head to hold the steam in--be careful not to burn face) with herbs (I grow eucalyptus for this) to loosen the sinuses. Do this repeatedly through the day and blow out all you can--but one side only so you don't end up blowing into your ear canals.

The problem with over the counter medicines is that at some point your body builds up resistance and you become more stuffed up from the medicine (afrin, psuedophed).

Eat a lot of oranges and grapefruit.

And sleep, sleep, sleep.

14. Dexbbq

Dexbbq New Member

I had blood in my ears after one particularly bad flight....

I'll tell you about my situation and I'm not sure how unique it is, but it works for me.

I was plagued with lots of drainage down my throat for many, many years. The docs would give me all kinds of antihistamines, etc. but nothing really improved until I stopped eating corn products.

Previously, I couldn't talk for 5 minutes straight or my throat would go dry and that would turn into a sore throat and infection that would take 2 weeks of prescription drugs to fix.

One time we had a pan of cheesy grits and I woke up at 3 a.m. with my throat feeling like I had gargled broken glass. Aha! That was the first time I made the connection to corn.

Since I quit corn, my sinuses aren't always swollen up all the time. I no longer get those awful tonsil stones from all the drainage.

No corn chips or taco shells for me anymore. High-fructose corn syrup is in lots of stuff and I avoid it religiously. Fried food often has corn in the breading. I ate some catsup and bbq sauce with it this summer and noticed some gradual changes in my sinuses over the course of a few days so I think I have my problem identified.

Anyway, lots of luck. Don't use so much nasal spray that you get the rebound effect.

15. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Xyitol is very good for sinus problems.

Elderberry is good.

OD on vitamin C.

Mrs Whodunit

16. Jenn

I don't have a corn allergy, I'm allergic to England (and its humid, cold, moldiness). When one of my friends convinced me to get on something for my chronic cough I finally got on an Rx antihistamine- claritin once a day- and stopped coughing all the time! My husband was amazed that he could actually sleep through the night without me waking him coughing. I think I could've used it in Texas as well. But hoping wherever I move to in US in a few years I can get off it.

17. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I have chronic sinusitis that my Dr. thinks he can fix with surgery. My friends father has had this surgery 4 times already but thinks it worked this time. No thank you what I've found to clear up a bad bout of it is garlic. Real garlic not the pills they lose stuff in the processing. Just crush up a clove I pop mine into a pizza pocket and within a day I notice a difference. It will also cut a cold at the first sign of the sniffles I run for the garlic, my hubby who thinks it is all strange has been suffering with a bad cold for almost 3 weeks now I took my garlic 1 clove a day and had a slighty runny nose for 2 days. I guess that is why it is called Russian penicillin. Good luck

18. Jenn

Cooked or raw?

19. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard this about garlic, but how do you mean pizza pocket--do you do that to cut the garlic flavor?

If I'm really blocked up, I always run out to a chinese restaurant and get some hot and sour soup. Always makes my nose run.

20. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

I find raw works much better than cooked. Like I said just hide it in something and you don't even notice it. I usually put it in a pizza pocket or crush it put it on a spoon cover it with honey swallow quick and have a glass of milk, it helps counter act the occasional heart burn.
    Good luck