Question about 4 H Boer goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

If you wanted to have kids available for 4H children to show in a goat show at the of September when would you breed the Doe? How old should the kids be at show time? And how old are the goat kids when you usually sell them to the 4 H kids? Do you sell them weaned or as bottle kids?

2. Milking Mom

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Our 4-H fair was last week-July 14th-22-We showed late January kids-late Feb.-march kids-weight classes from around 50 pounds (late feb. march kids)-averages were around 80 pounds (jan. kids)--one of our Jan. was reserve grand champoin-the grand champion was also a Jan. kid.-so we are talking approx. 4-5 1/2 month olds being shown. So to be 5 monthes old in Sept.-they would be born around end of April-does would be bred in Nov. for April kids--leave them on their moms for 12 weeks-you would be selling just weaned kids in July. Of course, you have to figure in what week of Sept, and back track--does are pregnant for around 150 days--kids should be on their moms for 12 weeks..i personally would leave them on mom-not sell as bottle babies-you could "offer" them for sale earlier-take a deposit--for pick up at weaning age. All fairs are different as far as what "size" wins..so far at ours-you want around 75 pounds to be competative--a 50 pound goat may win first in his "weight group" but is considered a "feeder" and will not go on as Grand. I would attend your fair in Sept. and see what size wins, and back track from there! :)

4. Milking Mom

Thanks. That's just what I was needing. :) A couple more questions. On the wethers, do you disbud them or let the horns grow? And how old are the little bucks when you band them? Do you breed Boer does twice a year? or just once a year?

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Most counties around us want horns off the Boers-either sex-too show in 4_H..a few of the counties have passed that the does can have horns now-we are working on that for next year here--would like a few doe kids to go-but want to keep horns on in case i show them open--check the rules for the counties most likely too be your "clients". We band cartrate-as close to 3 monthes as possible-we used to do earlier-then lost our biggest fair wether this year to UC..he was done early! We would like our does to kid twice a year--but very few seem to follow that--personally--i think it can be too hard on the does to keep condition that way. Some people have success w/it though.

6. Milking Mom

So if you show the Boers in "adult" shows they need to have their horns. Is this the bucks and the does that need to have their horns?