question about 3 sows please advise

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by myrandaandkids, Jun 17, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

:help: one gave birth 2 days ago, the other two are due around the same time in about 2 months, the trouble is the pen that the two are in was demolished by an angry goat and they keep getting out, and the boar that bred them is suddenly attacking them and trying to gord them with what little tusks he has,at the moment i have no other pen for them, my only alternitive is to move them all out of that pen untill i can afford to rebuild, i do have a small pen i use for quarentine but it is only big enough for one and not ready for babies, i know if i put them all in here that the boar would kill them as they have no way of getting out of his way in there, but the sow with new pigglets is in a nice little pen with farrowing boxes already set up, if i put these two other sows in with her, are they likley to fight, or more importantly are they likley to hurt her babies, i really think this would be the best fix for the time being, but i dont want to lose piglets or sows over it, please advise :shrug:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to keep hogs, you will have to build pens for them. You have four hogs and you really need a seperate pen for each as they get close to farrowing time. The easiest way to make sturdy pens is by using hog panels or beter yet get the combination panels that are tall but have narrow spacings at the bottom to hold little pigs. The boar pen especially needs tall panels. I know it costs money, but so does loosing a litter of pigs.

3. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

thanks, i see your point.

4. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Can you get rid of the hog temporarily until you can get all this together? I'm a woman alone and this building stuff is a real problem for me! What works great and was super easy to do and not very expensive is electric tape or rope; should work for the goats too (that must be some goat!). The only pricey part is the charger, but it's less than the cost of 4 hog panels around here, and those panels are very heavy and probably quite awkward to handle at 16' long. You can contain the hog with 4 T-posts and the tape; or maybe an angry boar would require high tensile wire. But it sounds like what you need to do first is get him under control--either contained or gone. The girls are OK without a pen for a few days as long as they can't get off the property or otherwise get themselves into trouble. Is the one who gave birth the one you rescued? How is she doing??

Kencove and Premier1 have chargers, and read the threads about fencing and moving. I have some notes I can PM you if you want.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I used to raise my sows communally and they farrowed with no problems in large pens, all together. They should all be due in the same period of a week to two weeks though. The boar is a different problem. If you can reuse the same materials make something seperate for him and sturdy. Doesn't need to be big if it is temporary. Your feed bill must be huge with three sows and a boar in pens.

6. BD

BD Active Member

hi, maybe you could find a livestock trailer cheap or borrow/ rent one from a neighbor. BOB

7. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

Maybe the best solution would be to contain the Boar in the quarantine pen by himself while you repair the broken pen.