Quest for dairy goats in PA/seeking auction tips

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tioga12, Jul 3, 2006.

1. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

I am still looking for a couple of nice dairy does for sale. I am interested in the Alpine, Saanen, and Oberhaslis breeds. I would like to have a couple of nice milking does for our own use and building a herd. We are just getting started and do not have a lot to spend. If you know of any affordable does in the northcentral Pa or southcentral NY region, please let us know. We are considering livestock auctions to get less expensive animals but don't know what to expect to find there. Any tips would are welcomed :)

2. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

The odds of getting good milking does at a livestock auction are pretty slim. Auction animals tend to be ones that are being got rid of for a reason- poor milkers, bad temperament, too old, sick- etc etc. Also, even if you were to find a good milker, she would have been stressed out by the auction process and also exposed to whatever diseases the other auction animals may have had. Your best bet is to ask around here on the forum for animals that might be available for private sale. There are quite a few PA people here who might have/know of does for sale.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Have you looked for ADGA members in your area? They have a directory on their website, www.adga.org, of member websites. They also have listings for goat clubs by state. There are quite a few in Pa. I'm sure you could connect with folks in your area that way.

If you're looking to spend less, I would consider grade does from reputable farms (those who test for diseases, etc.) before I would go to an auction. You are just so likely to bring home a sick animal if you buy at auction. To me, it's just not worth the risk when you're going to be keeping this animal and drinking its milk for a long time to come. KWIM?

We bought two registered purebred Lamanchas to start in dairy goats and they are very nice animals. However, if I had it to over, I would probably have looked at unregistered, grade, etc., to have spent less. But clean animals would be my first priority.

4. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warnings about auctions-we certainly want healthy animals and don't want to buy someone else's problems. I think I'll be sticking with my knowledgeable, reputable, and honest friend who has lots of goats, as I am learning it is the safest way to go. (Just have to wait for the goats to be available.) Anyone who is aware of the breeds I mentioned being available please do let me know. THANKS

5. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

Hello, where are you located?? I am also located in Northcentral PA in Tioga county. I had two goats (nubian and oberhasli) as a hobby, and I got them bred this winter to an oberhasli buck. I now have 4 kids altogether, 2 oberhasli doelings and an oberhasli/nubian doeling and wether. I am looking to sell them once they are a few more months old (the 2 oberhasli doelings are 4 weeks old and the other 2 are 3 weeks old). I really want good homes for them b/c they are my babies :) They're not registered or tattooed.

I got my two goats from a place near Covington, PA. They also have alpines and oberhaslis.