Quest dosage??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farmfilly, Oct 16, 2006.

1. farmfilly

farmfilly New Member

A friend gave me several tubes of Quest Equine wormer-I've read that I can safely use this on my goats, but I'm not sure how much to give them??
    Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with using Quest on their goats?
    Thanks for any input!

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

"Brand Names:

Cydectin
    Quest Equine Wormer
    Drug Name:

moxidectin

Family: Milbymycin
    Treatment & Control of: Lungworms, gastrointestinal roundworms, larvae, lice, mange mites & cattle grubs. Extrenal parasites.
    Goat dose: Oral
    Cydectin- given orally 1cc per 20-25 lbs.
    Quest Equine Wormer - Is 4 times stronger per ml. than Cydectin. I am unsure of the dose for this particular product for goats (the dose would be different than stated on the label.
    Milk withholding time: none
    Notes:
    Avoid getting this on your skin.
    Do not overdose this wormer. There are some questions as to whether this is, or is not, safe for use in pregnant does. This may be related to overdosing. I avoid using this in pregnant does.
    Do not use topically; use orally. I have heard of some health problems, and even deaths, reported when this wormer was used on goats as a pour-on.
    I have used this and it worked well, but since this wormer was designed to be used topically, as a pour-on, I am concerned about the carrier (it smells like wart remover). Since I do not want to risk my goat's health, I do not use this wormer. "

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/wormers.htm

Sounds like dangerous stuff

3. Dun Coille

Dun Coille Well-Known Member

I have used Quest gel to worm my goats and did not have any problems. I figured the dosage for Cydectin pour-on and divided by 4. A tube went a looooong way. HTH

Rebecca

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Myself, I'd avoid it. It's known to have killed a few horses when the dosage was wrong. Why take the chance? JMHO...

5. frogdog

frogdog Guest

The horse dosage for the Quest is .4mg/kg, which coincidentally is the same dosage for goats. This makes it convenient when using the horse gel, you just dial it to the proper weight listed on the tube and squirt it in their mouth. Keep in mind, moxidectin is now the wormer of last resort, and when parasites become resistant to it(which is already happening in some places), there is nothing else that will work in that drug class. Unfortunately, it's also the only chemical wormer with no milk withdrawl.