Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
plains of Colorado
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you ever can them without peeling? Took me most of the morning to peel and can 6 qts and I have LOTS more to do.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
The only ones i don't peal are the ones i make applesauce out of. I just quarter them, cook in a pot with some water until soft and run through a food mill. Peeling, seeds and core comes out one place and lovely applesauce comes out another.

When canning for pie filling, i use an apples corer, peeler, slicer rig.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have always peeled if making them up for canning apple slices. I don't peel them if making applesauce.

So I think it's a matter of if you think the peel would taste ok in a pie, or in whatever you would be using these apples for?

Those apple peelers do make quick work of it.

·
plains of Colorado
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This what I've been doing but after I peel LOTS...I feel like I have tennis elbow!!! Although, I haven't peeled in a couple days and my arm does feel better today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love this thread. I was shocked at how long it took me to work up 2lbs of apples. Had a horrible year with bugs and birds so cutting out all the bad spots is very challenging this year. Saw this post and felt better. My question is is there a specific thread about canning apples or canning in general? Having a hard time wrapping my brain around having everything ready at the same time on one regular size stove. Any of you experienced people who can have any tips on how to get the jars, canner, and fruit all hot and ready at the same time? going to can 9 pints of applesauce today.

·
plains of Colorado
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still working on our first picking (3 bu)...canned more apple sauce today as it is so easy. Going to dry some tomorrow. Most books I have says peel BUT I found this one today that said slice thin. I practiced with mandolin today and that will be easy. Have to wait until the peppers get done in the dryer. I really like the thin slice and I might freeze some that way.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Love this thread. I was shocked at how long it took me to work up 2lbs of apples. Had a horrible year with bugs and birds so cutting out all the bad spots is very challenging this year. Saw this post and felt better. My question is is there a specific thread about canning apples or canning in general? Having a hard time wrapping my brain around having everything ready at the same time on one regular size stove. Any of you experienced people who can have any tips on how to get the jars, canner, and fruit all hot and ready at the same time? going to can 9 pints of applesauce today.
I use one burner for the canner, usually front right. I then use left rear burner for whatever I am canning. Front left burner I heat a small pan of water to heat lids or if extra water is needed in water bath canner.
As far as jars, I heat them in the dishwasher. In my last house, without a dishwasher, I did jars in the oven. Cake pan with about an inch or so of water, set jars upside down, set oven at just under 200*.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have my husband run the corer peeler slicer majobber while I run the stove.

I have one pot for the canner, one for pie filling (I pre cook mine so it doesn't cook down in the oven and make the crust fall), and one for the cores and peels I use to make apple sauce. I use an on sink insta-hot (130f water instantly) to prep jars and lids as needed.
The seeds I have crushed and used as arsenic to kill mice in the cellar and I have a cookie sheet under the apple processing area to catch the drippings to make vinegar... Whew! Apples are so worth it!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Apples will mush when canned. It's fine for apple
cake recipes, etc. I freeze my peeled, cored and sliced apples and freeze them in zip lock bags. I prepare them with cinnamon, sugar, etc for pie recipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts