Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone direct me to the thread about quartering deer in the field. It was a Gander Mtn link if I remember correctly. I went to their site and couldn't find it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BR. I just read our laws and I'm not sure this would fly. Some of the deer I get are aways back in some big bog country. The drag gets longer every year now and thought this might be a way of eliminating alot of weight. I'll have to talk, no wait, I'll call the CO and see if the head is with, it would be legal. They may need the whole carcass for registration. Today's our gun opener, I'll be hunting field edges for starters. Try to stock up on young ones before hitting the backcountry.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Just wondering! I mentioned this before several threads ago. But I remember reading an article of this hunter who would debone the carcass out in the field. He would lay the deer on its back and make splits up the deers arms and legs, and chest. Then he would debone the deer leaving the meat clinging to the skin. He then would layer saran wrap on the flesh side of the meat and then roll the meat and hide up. He would start rolling at the hind quarters and make a bed roll like toward the head and tie it off to the head. He would then use the antlers as a handle to carry the deer out.

So now that after I have explained all that again. Does anyone know if that would eliminate a lot of weight by deboning the carcass and throwing the feet away before removing from the hunt area?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just wondering! I mentioned this before several threads ago. But I remember reading an article of this hunter who would debone the carcass out in the field. He would lay the deer on its back and make splits up the deers arms and legs, and chest. Then he would debone the deer leaving the meat clinging to the skin. He then would layer saran wrap on the flesh side of the meat and then roll the meat and hide up. He would start rolling at the hind quarters and make a bed roll like toward the head and tie it off to the head. He would then use the antlers as a handle to carry the deer out.
Dang, I keep trying to think of reasons why that wouldn't work, but I'm stuck! Seems like a great idea, you'd still have to gut it to get at the inside loins, I think, but I just may have to try this trick!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts