Quartz heater questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rita, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We are wanting to heat a room in our basement and have been seeing the ads for "new advanced quartz infrared portable heater as heard on Paul Harvey news". Heats a large room in minutes but does not get hot etc etc. Sounds too good to be true and at almost $300 for the small one I sure would like to know if anyone has bought one and how happy you are with it. The room we want to heat is not very big and the claim of heating in minutes would be very nice, but does it? Rita

2. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

I also have been looking for an efficient electric heater. So thanks for posting this I had not heard of them. I found this site of a comparrison between the 2 big names in infrared heaters, maybe you have seen it, if not here is the link.

http://www.infrared-heating.com/technicalspecifications.htm

3. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

By coincidence DenverGirlie posted about the same type heater. I think they are so new that no one has them that can tell us yea or nay on them. We found one site had it for $297 and free shipping (Value Vacuum)

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Kind of pricey? I have 2 of the oil-filled radiator type heaters by Honeywell. No circulation fan. 110v Uses 10 amps at the 1500 watt setting, has 600 & 900 watt settings,doesn't get hot enough to catch fabrics on fire or burn little kids or pets. Has a tip-over safety switch & an electronic timer & thermostat. The advantage of these heaters is that the oil holds the heat & radiates it even when the heating element is off. It doesn't give immediate heat, but it does give steady,even heat. They cost about $80-$100 each. One of them will heat about 500+sq ft, depending on height of ceilings & insulation. 2 of them will heat my 1100sq ft house for about $2 per day. The best part is that there are no moving parts...no fans & no filters to replace or clean.

5. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I may be off the page here, but I think those ceramic heaters have been around a while, I see them in the "As Seen On TV" ads. I would go to your closest public library and dig out the Consumer Reports. Hate to see you loose $300 hard earned bucks on these things.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

There is absolutely no way the heaters in the above posted site will heat the area advertised.

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

So, you have used one already? How do they do? How large of a room have you been able to heat with it?

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Ya know, if you're going to heat a room with electricity it really doesn't make any difference what type of electric heater you use. For every watt of electricity used, you're gonna get 3.4 BTUs/hour of heat...it's a simply law of physics. In other words, one type of electric heater is not going to "squeeze" any more heat out of a watt of electricity than another type of electric heater.m Don't get sucked in by the 'hype.'

9. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

You don't say what youre using the room for or how big it is.Does it need to be heated in minutes?Does it need to stay warm 24/7?Are there gonna be bodies in there just sitting around?Or just occasional use?
    I would spend $50 on an oil-filled heater and $250 for the electricity.