Quarentine

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Meg Z, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. Meg Z

    Meg Z winding down

    Messages:
    3,471
    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Location:
    NC
    My new ram is, of course, in quarentine. Of sorts. We had fixed a temporary quarentine pen up earlier this fall, and a new ewe had already used it with great success. However, the shelter (also meant to be temporary) was set up for prevailing winds, and this week we had a non-forecast Nor'easter blow in. Dumped 4.26 inches in 2 1/2 days, with heavy winds and some sleet. We added a large kennel to start with, but then ended up moving Socrates to the barn, in an area I used for milking goats.

    Here's my dilemma: If Socrates is carrying something nasty, my barn area is now contaminated. Part of me says I might as well go whole hog and go ahead and get the ewes bred, as waiting through quarentine was going to put them lambing mighty late, and into the heat here. The other part of me says no, don't break any more quarentine than you have to!

    The farm he came from was a biosecurity conscious farm. The breeder is the most aggressive I've met on health concerns and testing, and she's just gotten a grant to do more testing...at the tender age of 26, I might add.

    So, what would you do? We're back to 'regular' weather now, so I can move him back to the quarentine pen. Or leave him where he is, since it's already contaminated. Or take him over to the girls pasture.

    We just picked him up on the 18th.

    And, yes, the new permanent quarentine pen will go up this spring...with an all-weather shelter!
    Meg
     
  2. Bearfootfarm

    Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

    Messages:
    55,547
    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Location:
    Eastern North Carolina
    Given the fact that the farm you bought him from is so conscientous with their care of the sheep, I think I would go ahead and let him breed them. It would be different if youd gotten him from an auction but knowing his history Id say he's probably safe. If you breed them now it will be May before they lamb, and it will be getting pretty hot .

    We got 5 inches out of that Nor'Easter here. It's set back my fence building schedule since I have to wait for some soybeans to be harvested before I can start stringing wire, and I hate digging postholes in the mud LOL
     

  3. Vere My Sone

    Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    139
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    we knew that nor'easter was coming for 5 days
    check the wnct.com weather--from Greenville--they were telling us about it forever--they're not much on giving farm weather reports any more, but for something like that, they're pretty good
     
  4. Meg Z

    Meg Z winding down

    Messages:
    3,471
    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Location:
    NC
    Yep, I really need to stop listening to the local weather service...they are obviously worthless. I'll start hitting other sources, so I can be better prepared. You know, I've known they're lousy, but it was really only a pain in the rear...until now, when it's made a significant impact.

    Bearfootfarm, I'm thinking I may take your advice. I noticed that a lot of people read the thread, but didn't comment. I figured they were as unsure as I! But your advice, here and on our NC Homesteaders group, has always been good, well thought out, and you always give your reasoning, which I appreciate. Thanks.

    Meg
     
  5. catahoula

    catahoula Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    437
    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2005
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    How long had you planned to keep him in quarentine? I go for two weeks, in that time I can really get a good look at the animals and let them get used to me. It seems to me, as was stated earlier, that you got the animal from a very reliable source so you shouldn't have anything major to worry about, I would cut him loose too. I assume his hooves look good, eyes are clear, gums are pink, he's used to your feed, he's pooping pellets, and he's perky. Happy herding.
     
  6. Bearfootfarm

    Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

    Messages:
    55,547
    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Location:
    Eastern North Carolina
    WITN Channel 7 has a downloadable weather program I really like. You can pull up real time radar and alerts anytime you want I use it quite a bit.

    http://www.witntv.com/

    Click on the "First Alert" icon to download

    MegZ: Thank you kindly, Ma'am!!
     
  7. Meg Z

    Meg Z winding down

    Messages:
    3,471
    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Location:
    NC
    Catahoula, I would prefer a month solid, in case something is incubating. I was planning on cutting that to two weeks on him anyway, just because of the delay in breeding. But this guy is the strongest animal to hit my farm, I do believe. He didn't even get stress diarrhea, after a 13 hour ride in a truck, and a complete feed switch! Fecal is good, lower lids are beautifully red, he's alert, watches everything he can around him, and shows he's unhappy to get fed Last!

    I'll be moving him today! At least he was separated out for a week. Not optimum, but I think the risks are minimal. I appreciate the opinions here. And Bearfootfarm, thanks for the link, and you're welcome.

    Meg