Quarantine of a stray lamb

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Micknleb, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Micknleb

Micknleb Well-Known Member Supporter

IMG_0557.JPG We have a small flock of White Dorpers--just three ewes at this point, two of which should lamb any day. About a week ago, I came home and found a stray pig and a stray lamb on the property. We have never had pigs. The pig was in the barnyard, and the lamb was in the back yard, separated by two sturdy fences. But when I put them together in our pasture, they seemed fine together, as if this wasn't their first meeting. I've been keeping them in a back pasture where we have a shelter for the rams that we recently sold--lucky timing on that.

We have not yet found the owners, and I doubt we will. The lamb looks to be about three or four months old (I can't tell about the pig), neither of them are afraid of humans, so I suspect they have been around people, and they look generally healthy, though the lamb has never had her hooves trimmed. The lamb had a small cut on her back (maybe from following the pig under a fence?), and she is losing some wool, but that may be normal, again, I don't know. My guess is that they are pets that outgrew their welcome. We live pretty far out, but there are lots of relatively new houses with an acre or so yard within a mile or two of our farm.

I'm not sure what to do with the pig, and am considering bacon. I'm pretty sure he's been castrated, and he's not at all mean, but he scares the hell out of our sheep and goats. He's rooting under fences and trying to get in the barnyard. I have him and the lamb contained with a portable electric fence, but that can't last forever. The sheep,will need the pasture soon.

My question now is about the lamb. She is sweet, of course, and she's crying to be with our other sheep. How long should we keep her in quarantine? Should I take her to the vet for tests? If so, which ones? I like this little lamb--she's very spunky--and I don't mind investing a reasonable amount in her, if we can't find the owners, but I don't want to put the rest of my flock at risk. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

I'd want to keep her separate for at least 30 days.
    Pigs make good BBQ at any age.

cfuhrer and Micknleb like this.

3. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

All I get wandering up is dogs that the kids want to keep........

Give that lamb its shots, clean its hooves up and wait a week if it has been healthy since day one. I cannot imagine that they came from too far away unless they were dropped off on purpose. That is a hair sheep (St. Croix brand if I had to guess), shedding its winter coat is right on time....

Micknleb likes this.
  4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would wait a min of 30 days before I would considering eating the pig. You have no idea what he has been given in the form of meds. Take his temperature every week and the day before butchering. If no increased temperature after 30 days I would think he was safe to eat. Lamb...30 days separated, worm, CD/T shot series...will not hurt if he has already had them.

Micknleb likes this.
  5. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Pig looks like a potbelly most pet pot belly males are castrate d young cause they stink. Have not eatenany. But guess a pig is a pig.

Micknleb likes this.
  6. Micknleb

We get dogs, too. Fortunately, our kids are old enough to live in their own, so any dogs they bring are just visitors. We have 5 of our own. 5 dogs, that is. And 5 kids, too, now that I think about it.

7. Micknleb

Thanks, what you say sounds reasonable. This may sound stupid, but how do you take a pig's temperature?

8. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

Up his bum, just like a sheep.