Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday was supposed to be the hatch day for the quail and they have been hatching very slowly. I've had 15 hatch so far of the 50 or so eggs I have in the incubator. I'm also noticing a lot of leg problems with the baby quail. Is this relate to the temperature fluctuations or to the health of the eggs I got? Sadly the first 9 died when I put them in the brooder- probably got too hot and most of them were very weak.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Were these eggs shipped? The incubation process needs to be (IMO) a steady consistent ordeal with stable temps and humidity. I always keep my incubator inside where the temp on the outside of the incubator is as constant as possible. Leg problems can be inherited; however, the vast majority of the time it is caused during incubation. When I take them off the turners 3 days before the hatch date I leave them in the trays, and (I know its hard, but leave the just hatched chicks in the incubator until most of the eggs have hatched. At this critical time it so easy to open the unit and get one chick out to put in the brooder and loose the rest of your hatch because you let all the humidity out of your incubator.
I am surely sorry for your bad luck.

Brad

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
I had a couple that where spraddle legged, I put in some 1/8" hardware cloth over the paper towels I had them on.

They are all doing fine as of today.

If you listen you can tell when somethings not right, happy chicks are quite chicks.

Too hot,too cold , hungry, thirsty they will raise a ruckus.

Try and keep them under a red lamp or complete dark , I noticed I have a few that like picking on the others.

I was also told by an old breeder to round the cornors of your brooder to keep them from piling.

I'm using a GQF and only have a few hens, so I'm forced to load it staggered batchs.
Thus far I open it twice a day, I have the batches that are ready to hatch in a keyboard box on the bottom with a clump of wetted paper towel wrapped with a bit of aluminum foil in the box to up thier humidity with out effecting the rest of the bator.

I have to rewet it at least once per day.

I have the bator in the most temp stable room here, and I find the GQF quickly recovers, I do how ever minimize how long the doors open, and when opening I turn it off, what ever goes in goes in , door shut, what ever need to come out comes out and door shut, if I'm pulling peeps I turn the Incubator back on and do it fast as can be, then off and back in.

I had 30 some eggs that where fresh as can be, the other 20 are questionable on age but we will see.

So far I have 22 hatched out of those good 30 something. and will let the rest ride. If they are dead then they should be dried out, I pulled one egg that was like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts