Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quail eggs came today. I bought 50 eggs from someone on ebay. the instructions said let them rest 12 hours at room temp, then put them in the incubator. Golly I'm so excited!

What temps and humidity do you all use for your incubators for quail?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I try to keep the incubator right at 100*F and humidity at 50% for the first two weeks.

On Day 14, the eggs go into lockdown--I take them out of the turners and lay them down on a piece of the nonskid plastic bubble matting you can buy for your cabinets. (Young chicks can get spraddle leg if the surface is smooth.) At that point, I drop the temperature by about a degree and up the humidity to 60%+.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I'm going to start them this morning.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
I try to keep the incubator right at 100*F and humidity at 50% for the first two weeks.

On Day 14, the eggs go into lockdown--I take them out of the turners and lay them down on a piece of the nonskid plastic bubble matting you can buy for your cabinets. (Young chicks can get spraddle leg if the surface is smooth.) At that point, I drop the temperature by about a degree and up the humidity to 60%+.
Whats your hatch percentage?

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what happens if your humidity is kind of fluctuating. Right now, today- it's been about 61 percent, so I've been trying to get it down a little by opening one of the vents. I'm aiming for 45-50 percent, but I don't know yet how much water I will have to be adding to keep the humidity stable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As long as the humidity is higher during lockdown than normal incubation, it should be alright. Just try to stabilize it.

I have my own breeders, so I hatch my own eggs. It's very difficult to candle quail eggs because of the blotches, at least I think so. I don't even try to pull infertile eggs. I usually get 75% or higher hatches.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update. We are on day 15 for the quail eggs...I'm nervous. The temp and humidity has not been able to stay constant so I really hope we will get a good hatch rate. We check the incubator about 3 or 4 times a day.

I have to finish a growing out coop we stated for them and I have to get the brooder set up in the garage on friday.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hatched a batch of serama eggs with an incubator that just would not holds steady temp and I got a good hatch. I'm sure your tiny quail will be just fine. Watching them hatch is so exciting!!!

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
when you say check??? open or remote sensor?

You need to keep a bator in a super stable temp room.

Mines in a closet on our north side no vents of any sort.

Slow to rise or drop in temp.

Though humidity goes up, due to no vents.

If the temp swings in the room wildly so does the bators.

I dealt with humidity by leaving the water tray dry until it dropped by 10.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I checked this morning one was already hatched out. The rails were still in there but it was okay so we took the rails out and laid the eggs on a paper towel. Another hatched later on. I was expecting them to start tomorrow. Should have had the rails out yesterday but I got lazy. So they don't need anything for the first day right? Then they will need water and some crumbles.

No we don't open the incubator when we check It has a window and I can see the digital thermometer from it. I also have a little tube hooked up for the water to go through. I use a syringe and squirt water in it that way so I don't have to open it for that either. My room is on the ground floor and it is a cold room so maybe it's affected by that. I do have it on a thick towel and have a towel over it for more insulation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts