Q for Pat, Tracy and other producers....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MikeD, Feb 25, 2005.

1. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

You folks would most likely know if anyone around here does...

Knowing that there are certain zoonoses that pass from chicken to rabbit, has anyone heard if the Asian "bird flu" could possibly be a threat to rabbits if/when it decides to jump the pond? I've heard growing concern that it could mutate into something that humans could be suseptible to but didn't know if anyone had looked at the possibility of animals other than chickens contracting it.

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

couldnty tell you exactly , off hand, but my thinking is that it it does become something that humans are susceptible to , then it would go to follow that certain other mammals could become susceptible too

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Mike,

Wish I knew but I dont. Hopefully Pat will come along. She is the expert thats for sure! :)

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

5. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

The paragraph below was taken from the World Health Organization (WHO) web site:

"Human cases of avian influenza have been confirmed in Viet Nam and Thailand. Avian influenza, “bird-flu” is caused by influenza-virus A and does not normally infect species other than birds and pigs. An outbreak in humans of the present, highly pathogenic, strain of avian influenza, H5N1, also occurred in Hong Kong in 1997, causing severe respiratory disease in 18 humans of whom 6 died. The infection of humans coincided with an epidemic of avian influenza H5N1 in Hong Kong’s poultry population."

Just birds, pigs and humans. However, it affected humans when it mutated and jumped species! If it has that ability, then, we do need to be concerned. There does seem to be some biological similarities between pigs and rabbits which adds only more credence to my own words of caution. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

6. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

And how does one be safe? What recommendations do you have to prevent this disease? This inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks

7. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

"In animals, HPAI is most commonly transmitted through direct contact with wild birds, especially asymptomatic waterfowl, and contacts with infected poultry and poultry products. There are also common indirect routes, e.g. through contaminated clothing, footwear, vehicles and equipment, as well as contaminated feed, water, manure and litter. Insects, rodents, cats and dogs can also act as vectors and transmit the disease."

You can read all about it on this web site: http://www.who.int/en/

Just type AVIAN BIRD FLU into the search engine at the top of the web site page.

Pat Lamar