Pyramidal Strawberry Bed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Dave.S, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Dave.S

Dave.S Guest

Has anyone tried the Pyramidal Strawberry Beds? Do they work well? What are the pros and cons? Also, what type of strawberry grows best in the sandy soil of central Wisconsin? Thanks for any info!!

2. Hillbilly Don

Hillbilly Don Active Member

I also want to start a pyramidal strawberry garden,I hope somebody answers soon as I too would like to know. The one I saw was in Gurney's seed catalog. Pleeeeez,somebody answer. Don :worship:

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Mostly pro, few con. You can set a lot of plants in a small area and have easy access from all sides. They do demand closer attention to watering prior to, and during, fruiting. That's why they always have a sprinkler in the center. You're also limited to varieties which do not produce lots of runners. Since there aren't many heavy bearers in that category, Ozark Beauty is the one that is almost always advised. And there is nothing wrong with the everbearing Ozark Beauty! They do wear out after 3 or 4 years but one can use the few runner plants as replacements or start over with new plants.

As for the variety best for Central Wisconsin, again you can't go wrong with Ozark Beauty for an everbearer. June bearers are too weather dependent and if there's a late frost or hiccup in the rainfall, there's no second chance at another crop.

Martin

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

My grandma ALWAYS had those circular metal strawberry beds, and over the years Ive found they just cant hardly be beat for space, and ease of gathering the strawberries. And very easy to toss a net over the whole thing to prevent the birds from getting the strawberries
    IM not real keen on the looks of the metal rings so Im building a bed simular out of wood posts. Instead of round it will be square.

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Oh, those pyramid schemes are always scams :rolleyes: jk!

6. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I built several, wooden pyramids for strawberries and see more pros than cons. The biggest pro is the ability to access the plants from any side. This makes for easy weeding and picking. The draw backs: the kids can reach ALL the berries and will clean out the pickins in short order.

I build mine out of 2x8s. There is some up front cost here but the pressure treated lumber will out last me. I'm sure there are some less expensive alternatives out there.

As to favorite types...count me in on the Ozark beauties.

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

We built one but had bad luck with ours.
    They take a lot of water when built that way and they freeze easier in the winter for some reason. We lost all ours the first winter.

I planted more ground level and the bermuda grass choked most of them out.
    I have removed the ones that came up this spring into long planters and will see how they do there. I refuse to give up. I love strawberrys right out of the garden!

8. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I had one of those from Guerneys a LONG time ago. Hated it. It was too hard to get to the center to pick berries, and unless you watered it VERY often, the center dried out too fast. It is too deep, all the water goes too far down.

I tore it out and put in beds instead, which I love.

By the way, MY Ozark Beauty strawberries send out runners like crazy, so I'm not sure what is different with yours? I've sold hundreds of dollars worth of babies in the last couple years from only about 100 original plants.