Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're having issues with a neighbor's pitbull. I've had to move my chickens into the backyard (fenced in) to try and keep this dog from killing them. Bandit has always alerted us when the dog was over there at the chickens but due to the way our place is laid out I couldn't keep him with them full time. Now I can. They're in their own fenced area in the already fenced backyard. The problem is I don't know if a fence is going to stop this dog. He has gnawed through the wood of 2 coops to get in to them. Can we say determined? I've called animal control and have a trap out but I doubt we'll catch it....why would it want dog food when it can smell the chickens still? So I'm worrying about what happens if it gets into my fenced yard. Bandit will be 2 in February. He's a big boy and he certainly has the pyr bark that sounds like he means business. I just don't know if it will deter a determined pit. Can a pyr stand a chance against one? We'll be out to shoot as soon as is humanly possible if it does get in. I'm hoping someone who has an actual working pyr can tell me. Bandit works hard at protecting his turf but normally all he has to protect against are the leaves, squirrels, mail lady (she drives too fast) and the occasional stray that runs from his bark. This dog has attacked with him standing over there going ballistic. Dh thinks that Bandit will be fine if it comes down to a fight. The animal control guy didn't seem too concerned either. I admit though i have a hard time seeing the same dog that lays down with my kids, trys to sit in my lap any chance he can, and that begs to go ride, being vicious enough to take care of a chicken killing pit.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well I have experience with both breeds of dogs but not too much with working pyrs. (just got one recently) I would say he could hold his own but he will probably end up backing down and the pit will probably not. So I would get out there quickly with a gun.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I don't know about the Pyr part, but could you bait the trap with something better? Tuna is good and stinky or maybe some leftovers?

·
Kathy
880 Posts
Well the thing I would do is S*S*S* Dont think I would take that chance a s the pit is a much different type of dog and used for fighting and wont quit. With neighbors that dont seem to care I think the 3 *S*'s are in order...shoot shovel and shutup...thats my policy.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Well the thing I would do is S*S*S* Dont think I would take that chance a s the pit is a much different type of dog and used for fighting and wont quit. With neighbors that dont seem to care I think the 3 *S*'s are in order...shoot shovel and shutup...thats my policy.

I second that motion! Best advice yet!

·
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we're working on the SSS option. The thing is we're only on an acre and I have to be careful what direction I shoot. I only have an old 22 rifle to use too. I'm praying that this dog does NOT breach my fence! Its pyr proof but this dog bothers me.....any dog so determined to get something that it will gnaw through 3/4" plywood enough to get in is something to be concerned about in my book. Animal Control has a trap set and I'm hoping that we'll catch it that way but I kinda doubt it unless I bait the trap with a live chicken.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Then bait it with a live or dead chicken, smeared with tuna or really stinky dog food, better to loose one than all of them, or pay high vet bills because the pit attacked your pyr and hurt him. Pyrs normally do kill marauding coyotes and dogs, but your dog hasn't, and doesn't have the experience and this pit sounds like he's really high drive. Pyrs often work best in pairs(or more) as well, and your guy will be on his own. Pit could slide right underneath him and do some damage before your big boy figures out how to fight the other dog. Wouldn't risk it myself, not with a very determined pit bull. And if you do trap him, don't give him to animal control, shoot him or they may get him back.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
If you have seen the damage a pit or pit like breed can cause, you would be cleaning your rifle instead of posting here. Pits were bred to fight dogs and they do it well...and they will fight to the death. A couple of my collies ran onto the neighbors property and before I could get there, thier pits were already in attack mode. They were in an underground fence and that is what kept my one girl from being attacked, but the other girl was being kept away from leaving the area. When I caught up, I spent close to an hour trying to chase them back while pulling her out of the area. She was already bitten badly and they wanted to finish the job. Call me stupid, but I was not leaving without my dog and I was not letting them get another tooth on her. Everytime I bent over to pull her back they came back for her. I yelled no, growled and ran at them to chase them back a few feet backed up facing them and then drug her a few more inches....repeat. Now their attack was only about a minute before I got there and they left a good 20 bites on her...around her neck and shoulders and legs. And she is a 60-65 lb girl and very well muscled and fit. I was fortunate to get to her before they got her all the way down and went for the throat. Had it been on my property I would not have hesitated to SSS, but since it was on thier property, I had no right - it was my fault for not containing my dogs well enough and would only have had myself to blame. My point is, that if you are away and the dog gets in- it can kill your dog. Personally, I would be putting a live or dead chicken in the trap and hoping to catch it and meanwhile I would be bringing my dog in if I could not be there to watch for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with willowynd. Never underestimate a Pit Bull, no other dogs are used for fighting for a reason, none stand a chance. They will not stop until the other dog is dead. A Pyr is great for most outdoor threats but I wouldn't risk it against an animal bread to kill dogs.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Now their attack was only about a minute before I got there and they left a good 20 bites on her...around her neck and shoulders and legs. . .
Thats not a fight to the death attack from a bull & terrier breed. B&T's bite and hold they do not release uness they lose their grip. this is why people who fight their dogs need break sticks, the dogs will not let go. the same is true for most ratter terriers. this is whre the myth of "lock jaw" came from.
can't blame those dogs anyway they were on their property doing their job.

typical B&T behavior(blue dog) in this video from a patrolling ACO: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiO_duXa5A[/ame]

and many other breeds have been used for fighting(Ca de bou, preso de canario, american panja mastiff, both staffy breeds, bulldogs(both american and original english and all those inbetween), bull terriers, shar peis, ect).

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The bites she received were in the same area the pitbull in the video was attacking on the brown dog. The bites on her upper front legs may have been from them trying to get ahold of her. I noticed in the video they did not do a hold until the person tried to pull the dog away....they left many bites before that point. I am just thankful I got to my girl before that happened. I agree totally that my girl should not have been on their property...and said as much. I was just illustrating the damage pit or pit like breeds could do in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
forget the SSS. A pitbull running wild is a major danger. Any moron who would let one run is to stupid to own any possessions. Let your neighbor know you have a pitbull too. He has a legal degree. There are times to be a nice guy and there are times to get down and dirty.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Ginnie, to be very honest, if I had been you in this situation, I'd have become a very good shot by now!

This has been going on far too long!

·
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have tried many times to get this dog and so has dh. We're in suburbia though and will have the sheriff called on us if we walk around toting the rifle all the time. By the time we get it the dog sees us and takes off. I have however been diligent in calling animal control since I made this post. They've been here and I've filed a formal complaint and they've gone to the owner and talked to him. I talked to him also and he got a little obnoxious. AC however told him that they would haul him off if he got that way with them and that if I do shoot the dog on my property there's nothing they will do to me. It has taken 3 calls but the dog is up. As soon as dh goes back to work and we get caught up I am looking into a handgun I can carry all the time with me. In the meantime we've gone around our fence and done our best to make sure the dog can't get in. If it does it will be because someone lets him in on purpose. We also don't leave the dogs out anymore if we leave the house. I know that some people have pits and love them but if you're going to have one I think the least you should do is keep what could be a potentially dangerous dog up and not let it run free. I made this post wondering what would happen if the dog gets in the fence. I pray that it does not get in though and if it does I pray I'm a good enough shot to hit it and not Bandit.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
That moron whose dogs were attacking the other pit was scared chickenless of how to handle fighting pits. Simply put a break stick on the jaw area and push it while you pull. A well-bred pit should never bite people. Main problem is people breeding a human aggressive pit. They were culled in the old days. I have a pit bull female which is a sweetie but she's only 7 months old but gets along with 5 other dogs at present time.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Some of the sweetest dogs I ever met were Pitbulls. It sounds unfortunately that the owner is a loser who can not control his animal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts