pygmy questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ann Mary, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I was given two pygmys yesterday and I know NOTHING about goats. I searched the archives and learned ALOT this morning.
    I was wondering if there are any food they should NOT eat besides alfalfa for the whether? Can they eat all fruits/veggies?
    ANd I need to worm the with Ivermectrin?? Seems like I read once where pumpkin seeds will worm them??? Anyone know?? ANY tips on the care of these little critters would be very appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

alfalfa is some of the BEST food you can give ANY goat, the only thing you dont want to give the Weather very much of if at all is grain, this is what causes the Urinary calculi,

Alfalfa is great for them, and actually sence they are obviously NOT heavy milkers or trying to put on HUGE amounts of weight, if you just let them eat any brows they can get and then just alfalfa as a suppliment you will be fine, they will do great

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

TOTALLY agree!! all my dry does and bucks get nothing but alfalfa pellets and grass hay we have very little browse. Never have had a case of UC which once again is caused by too much grain. As for worming what ever works in your area Ivormectin is not working well in some areas. I use Cydectine also you will want to give them CD/T shots and if your not possitive abt whether they had them or not then start them all over. Depending on your area you may want them to have a rabies shot.
    If you like you can join us at www.goattalk.com where there are a lot of pygmy owners

4. Ann Mary

Boy, am I confused now! The gal that gave them to me has probably 3 dozen pygmys...and she was ADAMANT about not giving the wethers ANY alfalfa and only a little tiny amount of grain. I don't know what to do.
    And some say give them 'free choice' baking soda....what for? The more I learn the more I see I NEED to learn! :) Thanks so much for all your help!!

5. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

All of the folks on this forum are extremely knowledgeable.... alot of the suggestions are life saving.... believe me, I know cuz it was my goats that the advice saved. I don't give any grain to my bucks because of the urinary calculi. They are totally on alfalfa and browse and they do great. I was confused about the baking soda too until it saved the life of one of my goats. The poor little guy had gotten bloat, which is a life threatening thing for a goat. I posted in here and was told to have baking soda available at all times, they will eat what they need. So I did that and it saved his life. So I keep it in there at all times along with minerals and they just eat what they need when they need it.

6. Ann Mary

Oh!! Thanks for telling me about what the b.soda is for! I will get some out there today.
    As for any fruits/veggies etc.....any they shouldn't eat? The gal also told me not to feed them any fruit with a pit in them........I really can't see the idea in that. WHat do you all think? SHe told me that somone let their goats eat walnuts and it killed them so she sticks with 'no pitted fruit"......I'm thinking that maybe the walnuts were the problem but don't group all pitted fruit with walnuts....am I correct?

7. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Walnut is not a pitted fruit. Too many walnuts *may* have caused a problem, but goats can eat some walnut in moderation. I give my goats walnuts as a treat. Unless her goats diet was comprised of a lot of walnuts, and they ate a huge amount and got bloat or enterotoxemia, I have doubts it was the walnuts that killed them.

As for pitted fruits...it is ok to give them the flesh of the fruit WITHOUT the pit!!!! The pit contains cyanogenic precursors that release cyanide. In addition, some parts of pitted fruit trees can be toxic. Damaged leaves pose the greatest risk (IE: damage from frost, trampling, drought, wilting, blown down from the tree during storms) but all parts are potentially poisonous under certain conditions.

Since you are new to goats, you might want to look over this poisonous plant list for goats.

http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm

As for alfalfa, i have pygmy goats and they all eat alfalfa hay and get alfalfa pellets including the wethers. Never had a case of UC. If you feed your wethers grass hay and grain you are asking for trouble IMO! There has to be a balance in the phosphorus to calcium ratio otherwise urinary calculi can develop. Grain and grass hay have practically no calcium, but are high in phosphorus, particularly grain. Too much phosphorus can throw off the balance. If you feed your wethers any grain, I would suggest feeding them alfalfa hay or mix some alfalfa pellets in with their grain. Legume hays (which is what alfalfa is) have plenty of calcium. The combination of grain and alfalfa hay (or alfalfa pellets if hay isn't available) helps keep the calcium to phosphorus ratio in balance.

8. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I feed alfalfa and grain here...never have had a problem with UC...I provide a free choice loose mineral with Amonium Chloride and every few months I give them a nice warm "tea" of water and apple cider to flush any problems, should one be starting to arise.
    Oleander and Azalea are VERY poisonous - be careful what they browse on until you read the toxic plant list.
    For a treat, mine love corn chips and salted peanuts in the shell.
    Darling Pygmys, Congratulations!

9. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

On wethers you do not want to give grain or to much grain because they can get UC and it could kill them. If you have wethers or bucks you need to only give them medicated pellets, hay, let them browser and give plenty of fresh water alone making sure they have the yearly shots of CD/T very important to have. I have wethers with my does and they eat some grain but I also provide medicate pellets too.

Now if you have does you can let them have hay, alfalfa, grain and other things. I have pygmys plus other breeds of goats and they have all that plus makeing sure they have their shots, worming like suppose to and trim their feet.. Also know if you have any dangerous plants on your land if so ither get rid of them or do not let the goats browser where the dangerous plants are. I also give my goats minerals of their choice.

Good Luck on your goats.. :)

10. Ann Mary

Thank you all for your help. I have decided to give them alfalfa and NOT grain. SInce I have one wether and one doe is will be just easier to stay away from the grains all together. Now I need to find a little book to have on hand about how to take care of them.