Pygmy past due, what to do...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, Oct 4, 2005.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

My pygmy is past due by almost a week and I am begining to wonder what I should do. I am afraid that the babies are going to get to big and we will have a horrible time with the birth. When I say past due by a week I am saying past the 155 day mark. Should I look at inducing labor? The babies are still wiggling, I can see that from the outside. I need suggestions!!! :shrug: :help:

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

155 days is only an average. if it goes for another two days, however, with no signs, i would be worried. Call your vet now to let them know about your situation. they will give you thier opinions, and you will be able to look in on your options
    have you ever had a goat kid with you? im so exited for u!! hope its an easy birth! yay!! give us the news when she's all done!!
    ~Dona

3. tinetine'sgoat

I just went out to check her, and she is happily munching on something she has discovered in her straw that was changed yesterday and oozing whitish stuff. She has been doing this off and on for about a week. There isn't alot of it, just a drip here and there.
    This is our first kid and I read everything I could think of on goat pregnancy, just like I did when I was pregnant. (human books though) :eek: And guess what!! It all is amounting to hurry up and wait :bash: I'm tired of waiting, I want BABIES :grit:
    Oh, I forgot to mention that her rear end has been blinking. :eek: I really don't know any other way to put it. The blinking bottom has been going on for about 2 weeks.
    We have a major cold front moving through tomorrow, so maybe that will get her going.

4. Caprice Acres

the way i was able to tell with daisy was that she kinda gave me a vibe, like small things she does caught me as wierd. the major things were that she was really relaxed and came up to me to cuddle (she never does that, or rarely.) also, white discharge was noticed the morning of the labor. One of the best signs she had was that when she was laying down, her vulva was REALLY pooched out. like an inch or so, but only noticeable when she was laying down. i dont remember if she "blinked" ........lol turn signals.... sorry, i just started drivers training... lol
    i would definetely call the vet to let them know what is going on, and let them know that you have a goat due. i like to tell my vet so i know if they are going out of town or anything that weekend so i know to go to another vet, exc. also if there is a problem they are all ready 4 it.
    yay! more babies!! be sure to post pics!!!!!
    ~Dona

5. tinetine'sgoat

UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!! :bash: This morning I went out to feed, hoping that she would be streaming or even better nursing, and she is back to walking funny and being perfectly content being pregnant. This is worst than waiting to give birth to my own kids!!! :grit: I'll go out again when the cold front starts to make it's way through around noon and see if she starts anything. I HOPE!!!

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sounds like she is going to have them really soon. I'm so happy for you! Hope ya enjoy your babies. By hte way, our goats always keep us in suspense as well, we have been waiting 4 months for one of our goats to give birth and turns out hat she still has 1 month to go! Hope ya get an easy birth really soon. Bye.

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Check her ligaments. That will let you know MUCH better than just guessing.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html#ligaments

If you go down towards the bottom of the page they show where to check for the ligaments. When the doe is close to labor they are GONE where as before they can be tight as a drum. Now keep in mind if they are even slightly loose they SOMETIMES can loose them fast. *grumbles*..I had one doe do that*grumbles*....

I hope everything goes well with you gal:-D. I am sure she will do fine. Sometimes when they have more than 2 or 3 they go over the due date. Not sure about pygmys though.

MotherClucker

8. tinetine'sgoat

The ligaments are still there, but you have to press hard to find them. The tail head is up, so that her rear is caved in at the top and pooching out at the bottom. She is acting like everything on her is itching this afternoon. I hope it isn't the new straw I put in and it has something to do with being in labor. She is pooping alot this afternoon too. She poo'd two times in about 3 minutes which is weird for her.
    She has to have these babies before Friday, cause I promised my Hubby that there would be babies when he got home from Trout fishin'. ;)

9. tinetine'sgoat

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! I went out to check her again.... (My neighbors must think I am a terrible pervert, always sneaking around looking at my goats bottom. :eek: ) Anyway she was rubbing her head up and down on a tree and licking the bark :confused: then she doubled up and acted like she was in pain, then she laid down panting. :eek: She laid there for a minute then got up and is eating locust leaves again. Has anyone else had experience like this? Should I be concerned? OR is this what I have been waiting for??? :happy:

10. GoldenWood Farm

Thats what you are probably waiting for. Sounds like she is very close to giving birth. When they start going a lot thats because the babys are getting ready and moving around making the mom want to go. On the itchyness she might be getting restless and that would have to do with her getting close also.

Keep a close eye on your gal sounds like the big moment is coming :sing: :sing: :sing: .

(If I was you I would be out there right now watching and waiting for her to kid...it is the most wonderful thing to be there watching them give birth...)

MotherClucker

11. Caprice Acres

those are probably the first contractions!! goats will usually eat even if they are dying.
    keep us posted with what you get!!
    Yay!!

12. tinetine'sgoat

SHE HAS STOPPED!!!! :grit: I am getting ready to go back out and check on her, but as of 6:00pm she had stopped with the contraction things and was just wandering around. From what I could tell she wandered around almost all day long. :shrug:
    I told my husband that I've decided those aren't "tweeties" under her, those are two boy parts and she isn't pregnant at all. This is all a gender identity crisis!!! :nana:
    Lord knows I love the silly thing, but HAVE THE BABIES ALREADY!!! :viking:

13. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Sounds like she's prepping you for an "all-nighter" I love my goats that do that. All mine went between 1 and 2 in the afternoon. All but 1 that is. She waited till 2am to start yellin. Oh and.....The goo...... wait for the goo. Big white string draggin to the ground. ALL of mine got that the morning of. For me it is a fail safe yes or no on deliveries.
    Good Luck

14. Caprice Acres

daisy dindt get goo untill short while b4 labor, she only had a small white glob. it varies animal to animal. some will goo for a day or more.
    have you called ur vet yet? if a cold front is coming that may be why.... they usually try to have them at the warmest part of the day, around 12-3 o'clock. also if you are hanging over her poking at her rear end she may stop contractions. give her some simulated privacy, watch her but be quiet and leave her alone. she may also stop if she is crowded in with other goats, so separate her out on her own.
    licking is something some does do IN LABOR. they do it because her maternal intstincts are telling her a bunch of messages at once, and one of them is to clean her babies. since no babies are yet present, they take substitutes. Daisy licked me alot, she would even get up in the middle of a heavy contraction, screaming, and come over to lick me and lean against me.

15. Loisp

Loisp Active Member

Be patient it will happen when the baby/babies are ready. (My first human baby was 19 days late.) Anyway my goaties usually have their babies in the morning hours 7am - 11am. They usually distance themselves from the rest of the herd too, make funny nosies and get up, lay down, get up, lay down. Good luck with her!

16. Goat Freak

We have a doe that has just had her seconed batch of babies, and she never has had goo, sreamed, or anything really, the only clue is that each time my dog starts acting crazy when the babies are coming out. Of course it does vary from goat to goat.

17. Goat Freak

Hey tinetins's goat, did she have them yet?

18. tinetine'sgoat

No babies yet, but momma is GRUMPY :flame: :grump: She keeps running her sides into the big round bale that is out there and if I touch her, which she normally wants scratched, she tries to butt me. The hunching over contractions have stopped and she is stretching out and making funny faces for a few seconds and then quits again. I'm gonna have doc come out tomorrow afternoon if nothing changes so he can give his opinion. As near as I can tell they are still wiggling around. It is about 30 degrees cooler here today than it was yesterday and I thought for sure the low pressure change would get her going. I think she is going, it is just at a snails pace. :rolleyes:

19. Goat Freak

Boy sure sounds irritating. I am glad that you are going to have the vet come out, we had a doe that had one baby thought for sure there would be more because she kept having contractions for about another hour or so, then she got so tired she stopped having contractions, got tired of waiting, sixteen hours later after a lot of hard work and my mom having to play midwife, a seconed baby was born dead, she had been stuck in her moms vagina for sixteen hours. well hope your girl does good. Bye.

20. GoldenWood Farm

She is getting there. The stretching and stuff in its self could be contractions. But...it is a good idea to have the vet out tomorrow if nothing happens...or if anything go in and feel for your self. You might have a malpostioned(sp) kid that is causing her to take a while. Sometimes they get it sorted out by them selves and other times you have to help dilate and get the kids out. I had to help a doe with her kidding because both kids where presenting VERY wrong. Momma and babys where fine though :dance: .

Hope everything is ok with your little gal..

MotherClucker