Pygmy goat question...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by littlec, Jun 26, 2005.

1. littlec

littlec New Member

I bought a momma and 6 wk old pygmy goat almost 2 weeks ago. These are the only 2 goats I have. I brought them home and put them in a small shed with a fenced in area outside. They VERY rarely venture outside the shed. They don't drink the water outside...only the small pan inside the shed. They don't each much of the weeds, but I have noticed some of the lower branches on the elm tree have been nibbled on. They don't eat the feed I put outside, only what I give them inside. I have never seen them go outside on their own. I can **** them out there, but as soon as I leave the shed, they head right back inside. Is this normal behavior? What can I do to encourage them to spend some outside? I have thought about getting them outside and then closing up the shed, but I hate to remove access to what is obviously their comfort zone. I have also considered getting a pygmy billy goat to keep them company and maybe take charge. But I don't know if this a solution or just adding to the problem. I have never had goats before and would appreciate any help/advice that is offered. Thanks.

2. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Now i dont know if this is right or not... but here goes nothing... I had the same thing happen with my 3 newer goats... they stayed in their shed for the first week...ventured outside olny when we werent around...they were so scared of us and would olny stay ouside when were in the shed...same as you.. but they are used to it know and really dont care... so yea.. my advice is to olny give them the option of having to go outside for food and water so yea.. make sure that they drink it...if you notice dehydration immediatley abort... but i dont now what else to say...you also could use treats to incourage them outside... Hope this helps alil... but use the second option first....
    Yours Truly Lyn

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

getting the billy is a very bad idea unless ur set up for it and really want to hassle with it. they are stinky and all they think about is breeding. they sometimes kill young babies. also, if u do get a billy, ud have to keep it in a seperate pen unless u wanted it to breed. otherwise, ud go outside one day and see that momma has babies. and ur totally unprepared. also, if momma's baby is a girl, she could go into heat and get bred way too young. if mommay's baby is a buckling, u should neuter him. females will take charge, and actually the leader of the herd is usually the oldest female. my doe pygmy, daisy, even tells me what to do sometimes!!! if u want your does bred, its alot easier to arrange a time to take ur does to a nearby buck.

4. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Don't get another goat. It's not helpful. I suggest trying to put food and water outside and locking them out. Do it when you are home so that you can keep an eye on them. It is possible that they were kept inside and don't know the outside world. Since they seem to like the the branches of the elm tree cut some and hang them from the fence where they can easily get to them.

Make sure they have a shady spot outside. If it is hot and they don't have shade that may also be a reason they are not heading out too often.

5. littlec

littlec New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I do know that the place I bought them from kept them outside. So maybe eventually I'll get them out there!

6. Antoinette

Antoinette Active Member

I agree that maybe the new goats are just shy and a little timid of you at the moment.
    Whenever I get a new goat, I always put them in an isolation pen that has it's own feed troughs, shelter ect. To make them accept me, I will put a lawn chair in that area and just sit quietly for sometimes an hour a day. I don't try to touch them or talk above a whisper, and after awhile they will come a nibble on you or asked to be scratched. Don't rush it, it might take a day or too, but in no time they will be as friendly as bottle babies.