Pygmy breeding age??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by minny67, Nov 20, 2004.

1. minny67

minny67 Member

I currently have two pygmies (buck and doe) I'd like to get another girl for breeding.
    I'm going to look at some pygmy does tomorrow-they have 2-1 year olds that might be pregnant, and a 3 year old that is an excellent mother and usually has twins.
    I'm thinking that the older doe who has successfully kidded before would be best-but I can't find any information on how long you can safely breed pygmies.
    Since she's three years old, how many years of breeding does she have left?

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our mostly if not purebred, pygmy, Velvet, is around eight years old and I am sure she will kid again this coming year. I expect she is due 1/6/05. She was definitely bred at by William this year. She has kidded five times now (we took a year off from breeding).

3. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

It all depends on the goat, really. We've had a few that would breed well up to 10-12 years old and they're perfectly healthy animals -- does and kids. Then we have a few that won't do much of anything after year six.

4. minny67

minny67 Member

Hey Roseanna & Stellie, thank you for the quick replies! You were a big help!
    I did buy the 3 year old today-she's plump, healthy, and a real sweety. Hopefully I'll have kids in the spring!
    Thanks again!

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Hi Minny67, I feel that you made a wise choise. I had a young doe pygmy that was given to me that was bred at about 8 months old. She had to have a c-section. She had one buck kid that was half as big as she was. I was told that with first kiddings that if a young doe that has only one kid and it being a buck that you are in for trouble. Have a neighbor that has a pygmy doe that has triplets every time and they are about the size of a house cat, not mine. :no: :no: The vet. bill was $272.00. :eek: :eek: :eek: for the c-section.

6. Sierra

Sierra Guest

Pygmy goats are more prone to having delivery problems than other breeds of goats in general. I have a buck who was a single birth and he was of average size when born even though he was a single birth. I have never bred a doe younger than a year old and if they are on the small size than I wait an extra year. This will lessen you chances of having birthing problems due to the does immaturity.