Pygmy babies gone, what about mother?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

The new family just came for Boston's twin doelings. They are 8 weeks old today. Do I have to do anything special for mother's milk supply? I don't think I'll be able to milk her, her teats are amazingly small. She is also VERY bad about me touching her udder. If I should make an attempt to milk her out, when should I do this?

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I have had dairy goats for about 5 years and have learned that the best way to dry up a doe is to cut feed and do not milk unless her udder is hot and swollen. If you continue to milk, she will continue to produce. After her udder gets full and stays full, she will stop producing. Usually after about a week you should see her udder began to decrease in size.

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I dry goats up by not feeding grain except when I milk them. I milk once a day for just a few days, then only when their udders are hard. It works for me.

Are her teats big enough to milk her by stripping? Instead of sqeezing down the length of the teat with your hand, just take your index and thumb and sqeeze down that way. Hand cramps, yes.

About not touching the udder, just fight with her untill she settles down. Try tying her feet or having sombody else squash her from the top or side. And feel lucky she's not a 200 lb. ticklish Saanen with sharp hooves... :)

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you need to milk her, once you get her in the milk stand, have someone hold one of her hind legs up (as if trimming her hooves, but keep it close to her body, to the rear and high). That way she wont be able to kick AND you can see what you're doing.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Haha, I think you're underestimating her pygmy stature, lol.
    She just about kicked my friend in the face when we last tried that. I do have this thing right above the stand for attaching a leash to and then lifting her leg up and tying a leash around it so that she's standing on 3 legs but controlled by one person, Don't know how well it'll work though. She looked really uncomfortable last night, I haven't been out there yet today so we'll see. I'm going to either reduce her feed to 1x a day or 1/2 the amount 2x a day. Then I'm just going to wean her off grain entirely as she dries up and stops producing. I don't think I'll need to milk her out, she's a pygmy... but then again I'll know after I see her and give her a little 'exam' today, lol. She's not gonna like it!

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Got some good answers already so I'll just ask the question that comes to mind. Why did you wean the kids at 8 weeks?? As you don't plan on milking the doe, and they were only 8 weeks old, why not wait a little longer?? The longer she feeds those kids, the easier it will be for her to dry off, and the less stressful the weaning will be on both kids and mother.

7. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I agree, why wean the babies at only 8 weeks. I raise pygmies also and never let them go until at least 12 weeks. 10 weeks at the very minimum. Just curious. Did the new owners want or need to take them early? I adopted a young doeling at just 9 weeks and had to bottle feed her for another 3 weeks.