PVC pipe question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BearCreekFarm, Oct 26, 2005.

1. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

homesteadmama-

We purchased the system from Bass Equipment, BUT, I don't recommend getting it from them. It was very expensive and it wasn't apparent from the catalog what the product actually was. When we got it we realized that it consists of nothing more than a 5-gallon bucket with a very cheap, cheesy float device; and a couple of off the shelf components which we could have gotten elsewhere much more cheaply- namely, a Little Giant submersible pump and a bucket/bird bath de-icer. Not only did the "system" cost $159 ( I think), but Bass now charges for shipping, not by the pound/zone, but by the $$$ amount. So, it cost us something like $27 for shipping a box the size of a 5 gallon bucket. The whole thing is a bit of a rip-off, and I would send it back for a refund except that they would not refund my shipping, and I'd have to pay again to ship it back.

Besides all that, the system isn't even going to work the way it was explained to us. The idea is that you attach a garden hose to the bucket, the float regulates the level, the heater keeps the water from freezing, and the pump circulates the water through a closed-loop pvc pipe. By the way, the pvc saddles and water valves were not included with this system- they were extra. The reason this won't work for us is that there is no way to keep the hose between the water spigot and the bucket from freezing. And 4 gallons of water, which is what you get after installing the float, isn't going to keep 50-100 rabbits in water for very long. If we just filled the bucket and left it we run the danger of it running dry and burning up the pump. So, we will modify this system for winter use by replacing the bucket with a larger reservoir which we will have to fill manually every couple of days and getting rid of the float- we'll need a bigger heater, too. In the summer months I think we can use it with a (better) float and no pump, as a gravity feed system. I hope that I have managed to dissuade the next person from buying this system!

On the subject of automatic watering systems- I really LOVE the Edstrom flexible tube system, which is also sold by Bass Equipment. It is much cheaper, easier to install, easy to clean, and works beautifully. We are using 3 seperate systems, with 5 gallon buckets which we fill manually every day or two, only because we have been messing around with our rabbit housing and, knowing we will be moving soon, we never bothered to set up a float system or bigger reservoir. It has been super easy to re-configure the system as we have expanded our rabbitry over the past few months, which I love. I would strongly recommend the Edstrom system to anyone who can install it where it will not be subject to freezing, in which case it is useless during the winter. I think we have 5 months of freezing temps here :(

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the explinations of small livestock waterers - raising cattle here by New Ulm, I always wondered how the little critters were watered on a 'more than a couple pets' scale. What part of the state are you in - or going to be in?

--->Paul

3. BearCreekFarm

Paul-

We're in Todd County, W central part of the state. We will be staying in the same area, just moving down the road about 5 miles.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can get some rubber (plastic) hoses to fit over the PVC. You should be able to use hose clamps to seal the joints until you move them into the final location.

5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

You're supplying the water from a bucket? That's no pressure, it probably won't leak. If it does, use a little tape around the joint.

6. homesteadmama

homesteadmama Well-Known Member

Hey--thanks for all the info! It has been a long time since I have had more than a few rabbits--now that I am increasing the " herd" :), this is very timely!

7. BearCreekFarm

Thanks for all the advice. We bought the pipe today and sometime in the next few days we will put the system together. We'll try it first without glue, if it leaks we'll go back and glue it and then just cut it as suggested when/if the move occurs. I'll post the results of our efforts!